AOpen Mini XC Cube MZ855-II
- Quiet operation
- No provision for 5.25' CD/DVD drive or floppy drive
With the Mini XC Cube, AOpen uses notebook technology to deliver a desktop that is both tiny and quiet.
Price$ 720.00 (AUD)
AOpen's newest barebones (motherboard and case) small form factor PC is the first we've seen to use an Intel Pentium M (notebook) processor--perfect for reducing noise and heat. Processor installation was easy enough, but the circuit board to which the external 19V DC adapter connects needs to be removed. The PCI and AGP slots both require low-profile cards; the latter could be useful for installing a graphics card with TV-out.
We appreciated the MZ855-II's quietness, a result of it using just one side-firing processor fan and plenty of ventilation along both sides, assisting the escape of warm air throughout.
This MZ855-II has two IDE hard disk ports, but we felt the system would benefit from easier-to-manage SATA cables. This is more a limitation of the 855GME chipset (400MHz frontside bus, 2GB maximum memory). This small form factor design doesn't provide room for a 5.25" CD/DVD drive, so you'll need to obtain a slim, notebook-style optical drive, nor does it have provision for a floppy drive. Only one 3.5" device can be installed in this unit, and that device is your hard drive.
The front-left fascia of the MZ855-II flips open to reveal a seven-in-one media card reader, while a front-bottom lip pops down, allowing easy access to connections (optical audio, headphone, microphone, two USB 2.0, six-pin and four-pin FireWire).
It's taken a while for notebook technology to creep into small form-factor PCs and we can't wait to see further and more positive approaches from AOpen, particularly those based on Intel's 915PM Express chipset with SATA and PCIe controllers.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple Roll Out High Sierra
- ASUS' VivoMini VM45 gets upgraded to 7th Generation Intel processors
- NVIDIA Supercharges Rendering Performance with AI
- HP reboots Omen desktop with more of what gamers love
- Intel's modular Compute Card puts a PC in your pocket
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTFront-End Developer - BankingVIC
- FTChief Information Security OfficerVIC
- CCProject Delivery CoordinatorQLD
- FTService ManagerOther
- FTTechnical Architect/DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Wintel Engineer, VMware, SCCMOther
- CCLinux & Windows Systems Engineer - BrisbaneQLD
- CCJunior Test AnalystACT
- FTTechnical Support OfficerOther
- FTIT Project SchedulerOther
- FTSenior Project ManagerACT
- FT.Net DeveloperOther
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- FTEnterprise Architect - ApplicationsOther
- CCSAP Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Accounting / Financial DataOther
- FTSolution ArchitectWA
- CCAngular DevelopersACT
- FTSenior Project Controls Officer / CoordinatorOther
- CCUI DeveloperVIC
- CCChange SpecialistQLD
- CCApplication Solution Designer (Automation)NSW
- CCSenior Development DBA - OracleNSW
- FTSenior Business ConsultantOther
- FTCommunications Officer (Social Media Focus)Other