- Good black level, brightness and contrast; built-in webcam; USB ports
- Pink colouring was noticeable in the greyscale, as was noise; built-in microphone is inadequate for anything
This AOC showed us good contrast and brightness during our tests, but its greyscale did suffer from noticeable pink colouring and noise. Nevertheless, it was comfortable to view pictures and movies on this screen, and the webcam is a neat addition.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
The benefits of upgrading to this monitor are two-fold: firstly, you'll get a comfortable 22in of real estate over which to spread your desktop, and secondly, you'll get a built-in webcam that you can use for video-chatting over the Internet. It's a reasonably well performing monitor with a swivel stand and it's suitable if you don't want too many separate devices cluttering your desk space.
Its picture quality is very good overall, especially its contrast and brightness, but its colour is slightly off. Grey tones suffered from tinges of pink colour all throughout the scale – even dark grey was not immune. However, reds, blues and greens fared much better and the monitor rendered photos with rich colours and plenty of warmth.
Contrast and brightness tests in DisplayMate showed that the monitor is very capable of reproducing subtle tones. All dark-grey colours were visible on a black background and all light-grey tones were visible on a white background. This was reinforced in our photo tests where images with shadows and gradients were displayed perfectly. The monitor's black level was also soothingly dark to look at, even in a brightly-lit room. However, we did notice noise, particularly in the grey tones, which also manifested itself during DVD tests.
The monitor's ability to scale DVDs up to its native 1680x1050 resolution was good; there was noise in the picture, but movies were rendered relatively smoothly, and with plenty of definition. There was some slight tearing noticeable, but this can be fixed if your graphics card's scaling feature is enabled.
Blurring wasn't a problem for motion video or games and the screen's viewing angles are adequate. There was only slight loss of contrast when viewing from the sides.
AOC boasts about the monitor's dynamic contrast feature, which works by adjusting the light that is used to illuminate the pixels, depending on the content of the screen, while it also has a dynamic colour boost feature. But both of these features caused images to lose subtle details and to look overly bright. We found it best to simply use the monitor's standard setting and turned off all its special features. Using its on-screen display is a little annoying, too, as the power button is located in the centre of the arrow keys for navigating the system – we pressed the power button a few times, mistaking it for an 'enter' button.
The integration of the webcam is well executed by AOC, as you can sit comfortably in your chair with the monitor positioned in front of you and be sure that you will be in the frame (the stand swivels and tilts, so you can make adjustments to it, and to the monitor's, position, as well). Its quality is acceptable for transmitting moving pictures over the Internet and we had no problems using it with Windows Live Messenger. The unlucky recipient of our video feed complained about some pixelation, but the overall image was acceptable compared to other webcams.
What's unacceptable is the sensitivity of the built-in microphone that sits next to the webcam. It barely pics up any sounds, even from close range and with the gain all the way up. So you'll still have to plug in an external microphone if you want words to accompany your video.
For casual, close-up listening, the speakers in the monitor are suitable, but you'll miss out on low frequencies. Luckily, a headphone jack is present on the underside of the monitor, so you can listen discreetly on a pair of full-range headphones, too.
Only DVI and D-Sub inputs are present on the monitor, so it can't easily be used to plug in any stand-alone players in addition to a PC. It does have three USB ports on its left-hand side though. These ports, coupled with the built-in webcam and the very good contrast and brightness, make this AOC model a good choice for anyone who wants a fairly well performing multifunction monitor.
Join the newsletter!
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Apple iPhone X
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
cloudandco Smart Cane
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Toys for Boys
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
Google Daydream View VR Headset
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Xbox One X
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- BenQ Celebrates Modern Sleekness with Newest Monitors for Home and Office
- AOC Unveils AG322QCX AGON Gaming Display Bolstered for Battle
- Samsung announces Australian availability for its 49-inch CHG90 QLED Monitor
- BenQ Announces the EW3270ZL Eye Care Monitor with Immaculate Colour Reproduction
- AbleGamers' Player Panels could make future games more disability-friendly
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTJava Software Engineers wanted (Melbourne CBD location)VIC
- FTSenior .NET Developer - Back EndOther
- FTMid-Level Business Analyst (Digital Transformation)NSW
- FTInfrastructure Design Engineer, DC Power, CommunicationsOther
- FTProject Manager- develop strategy. Need RISI card, Rail bckgrndOther
- FTApplication Support AnalystOther
- FTProject Administrator/Junior Project ManagerOther
- TPSenior Project ManagerQLD
- FTJ2EE/JAVA DeveloperOther
- FTNetwork SpecialistQLD
- TPJava DeveloperWA
- CCDynamics AX Functional Consultant ? Finance | Supply ChainQLD
- FTSenior Test Analyst - Market RiskOther
- FTFacilities/Capacity EngineerOther
- FTDeployment TechnicianVIC
- FTMid-level Drupal Developer - BrisbaneSA
- FTBig Data EngineerOther
- TPC++ DeveloperNSW
- FTOperational Systems Specialist - DevOpsOther
- FTBusiness AnalystSA
- FTSenior Business Analyst x 2 (Digital Transformation)NSW
- FTBusiness Systems AnalystOther
- FTInformix 4GL ProgrammerOther
- CC.Net / AngularJS DeveloperVIC