So, what do I want out of my next laptop and what must it include?
Anthemion Software Writer's Café 2
A cross-platform software program that provides tools for writers.
- OpenDocument support, tweaked formatting facilities and support for multi-level story structures, Pinboard and Name-generator tools, runs on just about any computer, including Linux-based netbooks
- Nothing of note
Let's get one thing clear: Writer's Café 2 won't make a JG Ballard out of a Jordan. And for some, its toolset won't make a jot of difference. But if you have the talent and inclination to write, this software could provide the structure and access to resources that you need to set your muse free.
Price$ 50.00 (AUD)
Writer's Café 2 is a cross-platform software program that provides a workspace, resource centre and organisational tool for writers of all disciplines. Writer's Café aims to be the place you go to compose, develop, organise and brainstorm.
On installing Writer's Café, you arrive at the program's home space, newly integrated and smartened up for version 2. Here you'll find links to tools such as a digital scrapbook for your ideas and notes, a journal where you can keep track of your progress and set deadlines, and a dictionary.
Other improvements to Writer's Café 2 include OpenDocument support, tweaked formatting facilities and support for multi-level story structures, as well as the Pinboard and Name-generator tools mentioned below.
Despite installing locally on your computer, Writer's Café 2 feels like a Web app or even a browser. Writer's Cafe will run on just about any computer, including Linux-based netbooks.
There's an option to integrate that cross-platform productivity favourite, OpenOffice.org, by including a clickable link to its word processor Writer, conveniently accessible from the app's workspace. Note that you will need to install OpenOffice separately though.
Writer's Café certainly provides a comfortable, supportive workspace for authors. Suffering from writer's bock? The Writing Prompt will set you a simple timed task to get your juices flowing. An interesting little widget helps you generate character names. Perhaps an inspirational quote from the Cookies tool might help? Or simply click through to the Yahoo usergroup to discuss your blank-page issues with fellow scribes.
If you wake in the night with a blinding idea, you can jot notes down on your Pinboard, and then arrange them into coherent strategies. The Writer's Café Storyline tool helps gather your thoughts as you map out a tale, and the Scrapbook is a repository for all your random digital detritus, be it Web link, text or image. It's all beautifully laid out and blindingly intuitive.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Budget 2018: Government seeks to boost Australian AI capabilities
- JBL take smart speakers back to the living room Link 300
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
PCW Evaluation Team
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
- Nokia 6 (2018) review: Simple. Solid. Supreme.
- Nokia 8 Sirocco review: Full, in-depth review
- Pillars of Eternity 2 - Deadfire review: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies