Photo Art Studio 2009
Photo Art Studio offers very simple photo editing and tweaking
- Simple interface, frames
- Most users will outgrow the program
Don't get us wrong - Photo Art Studio is a fun little program. If you don't ask too much of the software, you can end up with usable, even charming pictures and cards for sharing and printing. Beginners will probably enjoy playing with it, as they learn how to handle their digital photos. However, we predict that most users will outgrow the program sooner rather than later. At that time, you might want to consider moving up to a full imaging program such as Photoshop Elements, and/or a framing plug-in, such as OnOne Photo Frame.
Price$ 37.00 (AUD)
With the multitude of photo editing and enhancing programs available, choosing the right one can seem daunting. The first question to ask is how involved in the editing you want to be. Do you want great control over your photos? Or do you prefer to do some simple editing, add a quick frame or effect, or type a few words? If the latter option sounds appealing to you, you might want to check out Photo Art Studio from AMS Software
Photo Art Studio has a very simple, easy to navigate interface. Its basic editing is limited to sliders for brightness, contrast, saturation, tint, colour balance and rotation, plus a crop tool. However, the bulk of the program is devoted to effects, frames and type, plus templates for fun layouts.
For the most part, the frames in Photo Art Studio are the strongest feature, with some attractive and polished-looking standouts. The templates are predesigned (and uneditable) layouts for postcards and collages, which have placeholders into which your selected photo is dropped.
Photo Art Studio's strongest suit is also its greatest limitation: its simplicity and lack of sophistication. For instance, when a collage's placeholder for your photo is slanted, such as one in which it is supposed to be a print on a desk, there's no tool for slanting the photo proportionately, to make it look as though it is lying flat on the desk. All you can do is resize your picture and hope for the best.
On the other hand, Photo Art Studio allows you rotate a photo to fit a tilted placeholder, but you have to do it before applying the template in the separate Edit Module, guessing the amount of rotation you'll want.
If you click on the rotation tool after applying a template, you'll lose the template. Another irritation in Photo Art Studio is that the only Undo available is to be able to cancel the current action or effect, before it is applied. If you want to undo any applied effects, the only option is to revert to your original photo and start over again.
Note that Photo Art Studio is available in several different licenses for different users: $37 for a personal license for private non-commercial use on one computer; $56 for a family license for private, non-commercial use on up to 3 computers; and $189 for business use on unlimited computers.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 3 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 4 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTIT Field Services ManagerNSW
- TPSolution Architect - LIS ProgramQLD
- FTPMO LeadNSW
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- FTPHP / WordPress DeveloperQLD
- TPTrim Helpdesk AnalystVIC
- FTResearch Officer / Data Scientist .Work Location- ACTACT
- CCSplunk - Technical AnalystVIC
- CCInfrastructure Test ManagerNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- FTSQL BI Report DeveloperQLD
- CCThe job "Solution Designer with PEGA experience- Telco" is now ExpiredVIC
- FTLearning & Development Consultant, Wealth ManagementNSW
- FTImplementation ConsultantNSW
- FTFrontend developerNSW
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperNSW
- FTFrontend DeveloperNSW
- CCManaging Architect - Satellite - TelcoVIC
- CCSenior Communications Advisor - Australian TelcoVIC
- FTIntegration and Implementation SpecialistVIC
- FTProject Control Analyst - PMONSW
- CCSenior PMO AnalystNSW
- FTClient Onboarding ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Activations Performance Analyst | $700pdVIC