AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+
- Incredible fast and stable, high score in all benchmarks
If you're a regular user of multimedia applications then put the Athlon 64 X2 4800+ at the top of your shopping list. It provides excellent multitasking performance and is stronger than Intel's flagship Extreme Edition 840 in some of the most popular CPU-intensive applications, such as Adobe Photoshop and Premiere.
Price$ 1,650.00 (AUD)
The Athlon 64 X2 is the same size as current single-core Athlon 64 CPUs, and does not require any new hardware--it will (theoretically) work on any Athlon 64 motherboard that has a 939-pin socket. However, some motherboards need a BIOS upgrade to provide full support for the X2. That's good news for those of us who already have a 939-pin setup, as we can make a significant CPU upgrade without forking out for a new motherboard.
The X2 retains all the features that have made the Athlon 64 such a popular CPU among performance seekers and enthusiasts. It has 64-bit processing, of course, as well as an integrated dual-channel DDR memory controller, Hyper-Transport technology, Cool'n'Quiet Technology, and SSE3 multimedia instructions (for applications that support them).
The two CPU cores in the X2 sit on the same piece of silicon, so they can "talk" to each other at full speed. They both have access to the memory controller in the CPU as well as the Hyper-Transport link.
Data requests are sent from these to the CPUs using a system request interface, which directs data to the CPU that requires it. Each CPU has its own Level 2 cache memory (size depending on the model you buy).
Initially, the X2 models available are the 4200+, 4400+, 4600+ and the 4800+. The 4200+ runs at 2.2GHz and has a 512KB cache; the 4400+ runs at 2.2GHz and has a 1MB cache. The 4600+ runs at 2.4GHz and has a 512KB cache; and the 4800+ runs at 2.4GHz and has a 1MB cache.
We tested the 4800+, and it achieved a record score (at the time of writing) of 109 in PC WorldBench 5 and was particularly strong in multitasking, Windows Media Encoder, Adobe Premiere and Photoshop tests.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Traditional Aussie PC market defies global downward trend again
- Logitech say new mouse features the best optical sensor ever designed for wireless gaming
- Razer unveil new Basilisk mouse built for FPS gaming
- HyperX Unveil Heavy-Duty Gaming Keyboard
- NVIDIA Supercharges Rendering Performance with AI
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Dishonored - Death Of The Outsider review:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCSenior PMO ManagerNSW
- FT2 x Python Developers - FinTech/TradingOther
- FTTableau Support SpecialistOther
- FTDigital Business AnalystACT
- CCMean Stack Developers x4ACT
- FTSenior Technical Business Analyst/BSAOther
- CCSenior IT Business AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Technical Business Analyst/BSAOther
- FTLevel 3 Application Support EngineerQLD
- FTBusiness QA Manager - TelecommunicationsOther
- CCAb Initio DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager - ERP SystemsNSW
- FTBig Data DeveloperOther
- FTData Modeller (Test Data Management)ACT
- FTDevOps Engineer - Blue Chip CompanyOther
- FTMobile App Developer - XamarinWA
- TPPrincipal Business AnalystQLD
- FTInfrastructure Engineer - POS/DesktopOther
- FTApplication Security Specialist - penetration testing requiredOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Logistics and Supply ChainOther
- FTC++ Analyst ProgrammerOther
- CCNetwork Automation EngineerVIC
- TPSenior Project Manager - CRMQLD
- FTBatch support specialistVIC