Alwil Avast Internet Security 5.0
Alwil Avast! Internet Security 5.0 did a reasonably good job at stopping active infections on our test PC
- Respectable malware detection, fast scan speed
- Has problems detecting new malware
The performance of Alwil Avast! Internet Security 5.0 was a modest surprise, with fast scans and respectable scores, but its problems with detecting brand-new malware makes it difficult to recommend just yet. We look forward to seeing what next year's edition brings.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
Alwil Avast! Internet Security 5.0, offers all the basic PC protection features and does a reasonable job at traditional malware detection. It is also fast. However, it fell short at detecting new threats, and it lacks some features present in other suites.
The Alwil Avast! Internet Security 5.0 interface is well-designed, with a clean, sophisticated look that is not only attractive but easy to use. But at times, the product is not intuitive enough: When scanning your hard drive, for example, you'll have to tell the suite what to do every time it finds an infection, and you can't proceed with the scan until you tend to the alert message. While this gives the user control, it can get annoying on a truly infected drive.
Alwil Avast! Internet Security 5.0 did a reasonably good job at stopping active infections on our test PC. It detected all infected files and Registry entries and disabled 93 percent of the infections. However, it removed all traces of malware in only a third of the cases.
Similarly, at detecting and disabling rootkits (stealth malware used to hide other infections), Alwil Avast! Internet Security 5.0 did well, though it wasn't perfect. It detected and disabled all rootkit samples, but completely removed only 60 percent of the samples - the worst performance in that test. By comparison, our top two finishers completely removed all the rootkits on our test PC.
The Alwil Avast! Internet Security 5.0 firewall works similarly to the Windows firewall: It asks you to designate each network as Home, Work, or Public. The settings offer different degrees of protection: The Public setting blocks the most traffic (since public networks are less secure), while the Home setting allows more traffic through. Work is the default, and it provides a middle ground.
The antispam function is more developed than the firewall. It labels suspected junk with "***SPAM***" in the subject lines (you may still need to set up a filter to move it to your spam folder). It integrates with Microsoft Outlook and some email clients. It can also scan web-based email clients such as Gmail.
Not all suites offer behavioural detection; Avast does, but it scored very poorly in detecting brand-new malware for which no signature file yet exists. It detected, disabled, and removed only around 27 percent of such samples. By comparison, our top performers detected all, or almost all, samples in this test.
In old-school signature-based detection of a collection of several hundred thousand malware samples, Alwil Avast! Internet Security 5.0 demonstrated a respectable detection rate of 96.5 percent. The top performer in this test detected over 99.9 percent of samples. But given the amount of new malware daily, behavioural and active scanning tests are more important today.
Alwil Avast! Internet Security 5.0's drag on system performance was hardly noticeable in our tests. It was the top performer overall in our suite of system speed tests, and was near the top in scanning speed. During scanning, Avast, like Norton Internet Security, uses an intelligent scanner to white-list known good files, and thus reduce the amount of time it requires to scan your drive.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Cybersecurity is a Shared Responsibility, Warns ESET
- Nest jumps into home security with Nest Secure
- Master Lock bring new Smart Padlocks to Oz
- Trend Micro Strengthens its Security Offerings in Trend Micro Security
- Billions of devices at risk as Bluetooth-bourne vulnerability exposed
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTProgram Director - Consulting FirmACT
- FTSAP Lead Solution ArchitectOther
- TPSolution ArchitectQLD
- FTRPA DeveloperOther
- CCSenior Agile Project ManagerNSW
- TPSAP ABAP DeveloperQLD
- TPKnowledge AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Software DeveloperSA
- CCBusiness Analyst - SharepointVIC
- TPProject Manager | Digital Health ProgramQLD
- CCSharepoint DeveloperWA
- FTProgram Manager - SaaSQLD
- CCSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- CCTech PM - SecurityNSW
- FTSAP HR Team LeadOther
- TPChange Analyst / ManagerQLD
- FTRecruitment Specialist - $40 p/hr - IMMEDIATE STARTOther
- CCTraining and Support LeadACT
- TPAPS 6 Business AnalystACT
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Banking and FinanceOther
- FTSenior Wintel Engineer, VMware, DesignOther
- CCMid-Level Oracle SQL DeveloperNSW
- CCMultiple Pega Resources Required - Developers & ArchitectsNSW
- FTCorporate ReceptionistOther
- FTBig Data EngineerVIC