Avast Antivirus Home Edition
Alwil Avast Antivirus Home Edition provides solid antimalware protection and a good set of features, but its outdated interface needs a makeover
- Capable malware detection, fast scan speed
- Outdated and confusing interface
Alwil Avast Antivirus Home Edition will do a decent job protecting a PC from malware, and it's free, but if you're willing to put up with a less-than-perfect interface (and some ads), you're better off going with Avira's top-notch blocking.
Alwil Avast Antivirus Home Edition, developed in the Czech Republic, offers capable malware detection and faster-than-average scan speed, both of which helped propel the app to the number two spot in our rankings of free antivirus software. Its clunky interface badly needs updating, however.
In AV-Test.org malware-detection tests, Alwil Avast Antivirus Home Edition blocked a respectable 98.2 percent of samples out of a malware "zoo" consisting of about a half-million files. That wasn't enough for Avast to top the best performer, Avira Antivir Personal, but it's still a good showing.
Avast didn't do quite as well in proactive-detection tests, which simulate how well a program would fare against new and unknown malware. Its catch rates of 46.1 percent (two-week-old signatures) and 41 percent (four-week-old signatures) put it in fourth place.
Alwil Avast Antivirus Home Edition was relatively nimble at on-demand scans (which you start manually) and on-access scans (which occur automatically when you save or use a file), placing second in each test (behind Avira in both cases). It issued just one false positive (labeling harmless software as malicious).
In disinfection, Alwil Avast Antivirus Home Edition nearly matched the top free performers, detecting and disabling 90 percent of the rootkits used in our tests. All three apps, however, also left behind Registry entries and failed to reverse all of the changes that the malware had made.
While Alwil Avast Antivirus Home Edition does well as a malware blocker and remover, it fares poorly as a program that people have to interact with. Its outdated interface has sections that look entirely different depending on whether you're running a scan, checking status, or changing settings.
The scanning interface mimics a music player, but you probably won't be singing its praises. Be sure to read the how-to guide that pops up the first time you use Alwil Avast Antivirus Home Edition, unless you enjoy scratching your head and growling at your monitor.
The Avast product is the only free antivirus software we've tested recently that requires you to register within 60 days to receive a free licence key. It's also the only app that scans web traffic for malware (AVG 8.5 Free's LinkScanner scans web traffic for the attacks that can presage malware, but not for the malware itself), and it scans email traffic as well.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Miofive 4K Dash Cam review: This friendly road watcher is ‘here for you!’
- 2 Dell U3223QE review: A winning debut for an IPS Black monitor
- 3 Asus TUF Gaming VG28UQL1A review: This 4K monitor plays nice with consoles
- 4 Firewalla Gold review: Powerful home network security in a tiny box
- 5 Acer Aspire 5 review: An affordable laptop that’s enjoyable to use
Latest News Articles
- The best free VPNs for Windows
- NordVPN is offering 2 years of VPN service for $111
- Signal's hack of surveillance software a big concern for courts
- NortonLifeLock hopes to make gaming more secure
- Trend Micro: APAC organisations face increasing cyber threats
PCW Evaluation Team
Set up is effortless.
The strength of the Aruba Instant On AP11D is that the design and feature set support the modern, flexible, and mobile way of working.
Aruba backs the AP11D up with a two-year warranty and 24/7 phone support.
Ultimately this laptop has achieved everything I would hope for in a laptop for work, while fitting that into a form factor and weight that is remarkable.
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
- Top 10 best Android and Apple phones for under $600
- 25 Essential Party Games On PC And Console To Play With Family And Friends
- Mesh Wi-Fi vs Traditional Routers: Which is better?
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies