Avast Antivirus Home Edition
Alwil Avast Antivirus Home Edition provides solid antimalware protection and a good set of features, but its outdated interface needs a makeover
- Capable malware detection, fast scan speed
- Outdated and confusing interface
Alwil Avast Antivirus Home Edition will do a decent job protecting a PC from malware, and it's free, but if you're willing to put up with a less-than-perfect interface (and some ads), you're better off going with Avira's top-notch blocking.
Alwil Avast Antivirus Home Edition, developed in the Czech Republic, offers capable malware detection and faster-than-average scan speed, both of which helped propel the app to the number two spot in our rankings of free antivirus software. Its clunky interface badly needs updating, however.
In AV-Test.org malware-detection tests, Alwil Avast Antivirus Home Edition blocked a respectable 98.2 percent of samples out of a malware "zoo" consisting of about a half-million files. That wasn't enough for Avast to top the best performer, Avira Antivir Personal, but it's still a good showing.
Avast didn't do quite as well in proactive-detection tests, which simulate how well a program would fare against new and unknown malware. Its catch rates of 46.1 percent (two-week-old signatures) and 41 percent (four-week-old signatures) put it in fourth place.
Alwil Avast Antivirus Home Edition was relatively nimble at on-demand scans (which you start manually) and on-access scans (which occur automatically when you save or use a file), placing second in each test (behind Avira in both cases). It issued just one false positive (labeling harmless software as malicious).
In disinfection, Alwil Avast Antivirus Home Edition nearly matched the top free performers, detecting and disabling 90 percent of the rootkits used in our tests. All three apps, however, also left behind Registry entries and failed to reverse all of the changes that the malware had made.
While Alwil Avast Antivirus Home Edition does well as a malware blocker and remover, it fares poorly as a program that people have to interact with. Its outdated interface has sections that look entirely different depending on whether you're running a scan, checking status, or changing settings.
The scanning interface mimics a music player, but you probably won't be singing its praises. Be sure to read the how-to guide that pops up the first time you use Alwil Avast Antivirus Home Edition, unless you enjoy scratching your head and growling at your monitor.
The Avast product is the only free antivirus software we've tested recently that requires you to register within 60 days to receive a free licence key. It's also the only app that scans web traffic for malware (AVG 8.5 Free's LinkScanner scans web traffic for the attacks that can presage malware, but not for the malware itself), and it scans email traffic as well.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Wanawiki is the WannaCry fix that might save affected PCs—if you work fast
- Digital signature service DocuSign hacked and email addresses stolen
- The WannaCry ransomware might have a link to North Korea
- Paying the WannaCry ransom will probably get you nothing. Here's why.
- WannaCry attacks are only the beginning
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTHFC Network Modeller | 6mth ContractOther
- FTSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior UX/UI DesignerOther
- FTResource /Operations AnalystOther
- FT.NET DeveloperOther
- TPSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- CCSAP MM Functional ConsultantVIC
- TPInfrastructure Project ManagerQLD
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- TPDigital Business Analyst | Six Month Contract |Immediate StartQLD
- FTDevOps Lead / Identity Services Security LeadOther
- FT.Net DeveloperQLD
- FTAndroid Developer - PermanentWA
- FTSCCM Engineer / SpecialistOther
- FTMicrosoft Azure Cloud EngineerNSW
- FTClient Onboarding ManagerNSW
- FTTest AnalystSA
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCEUS Junior Application Project ManagerNSW
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectOther
- FTAgile Test LeadOther
- FTIT Support officer- Service Desk AP3 & APS4ACT
- CCData AnalystVIC
- FTIT Project SchedulerOther