Altech Computers NRG Tornado eXtreme
- SLI Overclocked 8800GTS cards, Zalman cooler and case fans (for effectiveness), cable management, 30in Samsung monitor, Razer gaming gear
- Case fans (for noise)
The Altech Tornado eXtreme is an enthusiast's PC without a doubt. If you want to play the latest games and run taxing applications, the Altech NRG Tornado eXtreme is a great choice, despite its high price tag.
Price$ 5,999.00 (AUD)
For serious gaming and power PC users, the Altech NRG Tornado eXtreme can't be ignored. Glowing with blue LEDs, and humming with some of the latest hardware, the Altech NRG Tornado eXtreme is far from being a discrete home PC.
There are few games or applications that will push this system over the edge. It has two overclocked Inno3D GeForce 8800GTS (320MB) graphics cards (570MHz core clock, 1800MHz memory clock) linked in SLI mode, an Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus motherboard with an Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz CPU, 2GB of Corsair DDR2 800MHz RAM and a terabyte of storage across four 250GB hard drives in a Raid 0 array.. All of this hardware is squeezed neatly into an Nine Hundred Case. The system uses a 750watt SilverStone power supply which can easily power the existing hardware, while having ample power reserved for future devices as well.
Not only is the Tornado packed with hardware, but it comes with a set of Razer gaming gear, including a set of gaming headphones, the Barracuda HP-1 Gaming Headphones, a Razer Copperhead gaming mouse, a Razer Tarantula Tournament Edition gaming keyboard and a large mouse-pad. As if the system wasn't already a monster, it also comes with a gigantic Samsung 30in monitor, which is capable of running in resolutions up to 2560x1600 via DVI-I (Dual Link).
The system scored very well in our tests. In WorldBench 5 it scored an impressive 154, while in also performed well in our gaming tests. In 3DMark 2006 it scored 13577, while in FEAR it averaged 144fps (frames per second) with maximum quality settings, at a resolution of 1280x960. In Quake 4 it averaged 114fps at high quality, and at a resolution of 1280x1024. We cranked up the resolution to see how well it would handle the full resolution of the 30in Samsung monitor. Running FEAR at the max allowed resolution of 2048x1536 where it averaged 37fps. Clearly, even this powerful rig finds it hard to render at such high resolutions, though it was still playable nonetheless.
The Antec Nine Hundred gaming case has a total of five cooling fans attached. Two 120mm fans mounted on the fascia cool the hard drives, while a 120mm side mounted fan, another 120mm rear mounted fan, and a massive 200mm fan mounted on the top of the case keep the high-end components cool. The CPU has a Zalman cooler with a 100mm fan and a ring of copper pipes and fins. As a result this system is fairly loud, though the fan speed can be adjusted with individual controls or the master control found inside the case.
The cable management has been handled well for so much hardware in such a small space. All the SATA cables have been neatly bundled together with the power cables, while the excess power cables have been jammed into a spare hard drive cage at the bottom of the case. As such airflow should be fairly uninterrupted throughout the case, which helps to maintain a stable system temperature.
Join the newsletter!
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
cloudandco Smart Cane
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Toys for Boys
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Xbox One X
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple Roll Out High Sierra
- ASUS' VivoMini VM45 gets upgraded to 7th Generation Intel processors
- NVIDIA Supercharges Rendering Performance with AI
- HP reboots Omen desktop with more of what gamers love
- Intel's modular Compute Card puts a PC in your pocket
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSERVICE DESK - ENTRY LEVELSA
- FTDesktop Technical LeadOther
- PTDirector Programme Management OfficeSA
- FTSenior Project Manager- Infrastructure & Application upgradeOther
- FTSAP Test ManagerACT
- FTSystem AnalystQLD
- FTOffice Manager | Start-up | Global Cloud ProviderVIC
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)Other
- FTCobol DeveloperOther
- FTSystem AnalystSA
- FTSenior PHP Developer / Team LeadNSW
- FTChange Facilitators / Change AnalystsOther
- FTHR Business PartnerOther
- FTScrum Master | 6mths +Other
- CCRelease ManagerACT
- CCMid - Level SAP Test Analyst (Brisbane)NSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTApplication ArchitectOther
- FTTeam and Project Administrator - SalesforceQLD
- FTSenior Change ManagerACT
- FTDatabase Systems SpecialistOther
- FTScrum MasterOther
- FTSenior Software Engineer - ContractOther
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW