Altec Lansing iM500
- Sleek and compact design, can act as a dock, has an auxiliary input
- A remote control isn't included, doesn't have bass and treble controls, poor sound quality at high volume levels
This is a well-designed speaker system that can also act as a dock. However, its sound quality doesn't match its sleek look. The lack of a remote control, hard to press buttons and poor sound quality at higher volume levels means users should give this a miss.
Price$ 199.95 (AUD)
The Altec Lansing iM500 is a thin, lightweight and compact portable speaker system for the iPod Nano. Its size makes it ideal for the traveler. Although the iM500 scores points for its design, the lack of a remote control, hard to press control buttons, and below average sound quality at higher volume levels detract from the overall quality of the product.
The iM500 produced balanced sound at lower volume levels with most musical styles, but it wasn't outstanding. When the volume was raised, distortion became evident and the sound quality deteriorated. Bass, in particular, was distorted on all the musical styles we tried, and without bass or treble controls on the unit, this couldn't be tweaked.
As the bass began to distort, other frequencies merged and the sound became overly muddy. Many similar systems we've seen will distort slightly at higher volume levels, but the distortion from the iM500 was excessive. It requires users to listen at a much lower volume level in order to get clear sound. For parties or for filling a room with sound, the iM500 is not suitable. It's fine for quiet listening and close-range listening.
The iM500's sleek design is its best feature, but even this could've been better. A button in the middle of the speaker cover flips out of the unit's base, which houses the Nano connector and the iM500 controls. These controls consist of a power button and volume up and down controls. Unfortunately, these buttons are very small, are made out of plastic and require a firm press to activate. Aesthetically, the iM500 looks superb when a black iPod Nano is docked. It's finished in glossy black plastic, with a dark grey mesh speaker cover.
The iM500 runs on either AC power (with an adaptor included in the sales package) or via six AAA batteries, located in two separate compartments on the rear of the unit. The rear of the unit also has an auxiliary input for the connection of alternate audio sources, such as non-dockable iPods, MP3 players, portable DVD players and notebooks. A standard audio cable (3.5mm) is provided in the sales package and this simply connects from the auxiliary input to the headphone jack of any other device.
The iM500 also acts as a dock for charging and synchronising the iPod Nano and can be connected to a PC or Mac using a Mini-USB connection.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Xbox One X
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- The Best Australian Black Friday Tech Deals That Aren't On Amazon
- Wolfenstein The New Colossus Review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCIseries Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- CCLead Pega Systems ArchitectVIC
- CCJanusgraph Consultant - Telco industryVIC
- FTFinancial Analyst- Construction backgroundOther
- FTProject ManagerOther
- FTWeb Developer / ProducerOther
- FTSenior Project Controls Officer / CoordinatorOther
- CCICT Project Manager - Port Macquarie NSWQLD
- FTNetwork ArchitectVIC
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCBusiness Project ManagerNSW
- CCPHP DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FTBusiness Analyst - Contract - $650 per dayOther
- CCTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - WealthOther
- CC.Net DeveloperWA
- TPBusiness Analyst ManagerNSW
- CCDevelopers ? Multiple opportunities (Brisbane)VIC
- FTDeployment TechnicianVIC
- FTTechnology Development ManagerQLD
- FTNetwork Engineer, Voice & DataOther
- FTAgile CoachOther
- FTSenior Java DeveloperOther
- FTProduct Support ManagerVIC