Altec Lansing iM4
- Portability, Decent sound quality
- Distortion at highest volume
The iM4 delivers above average sound quality for a set of portable speakers.
Price$ 169.95 (AUD)
The iM4 is an all around performer in the portable speaker space. It can be used with most portable audio devices, and combines portability and a simple design with surprisingly well balanced sound.
Slightly larger when compared to some portable products we have tested, measuring 261mm x 134mm x 26mm, the iM4 utilises a simple yet effective design. The speakers slide out from the centre unit and can rotate to a full 180 degrees; although this range of motion is hardly necessary as you would never want them pointed directly at the ceiling.
The iM4 is predominantly plastic, with a rubber surface on the top of the unit to rest your audio device on. An inbuilt retracting cable is then used to connect it to the speakers. In the box you'll find an additional longer input cable ideal for a laptop connection as well as four power adaptors for use in different parts of the world.
On the whole we were quiet satisfied with the sound quality of the iM4. Where portable speakers are notorious for emitting unfulfilling bass and emphasising the higher frequencies, the iM4 was surprisingly well balanced. Although the bass was not wonderful, instruments in the lower frequencies were quite clear and had enough presence and power to be felt during our listening sessions.
However, some distortion was present when we pushed it to the highest volume, leading to a deteriorating clarity in the upper registers. Overall the iM4 produced a well balanced sound, which is impressive for a portable speaker system of its size and price.
Combining an analogue power button and volume slider the design may not be the most innovative around, but the iM4's simplicity, portability, and good sound quality make this an attractive package.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 2 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 4 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 5 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
- Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- GAMOSPHERE: Your August Roundup of Gaming News
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCProduct Owner - TelcoVIC
- FTChange Manager (4-days)NSW
- FTIteration ManagerOther
- FTContinuous Improvement LeadNSW
- FTProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTTechnical/ Architecture Java LeadVIC
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- TPJunior Business Analysis - Business Case specialist**NSW
- TPEnterprise Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTSAP Support Analyst / Helpdesk / Service DeskOther
- CCRelease ManagerQLD
- TPProgram Change Co-ordinatorQLD
- FTeCommerce Integration Support LeadVIC
- CCSystems Engineer (Wintel) - Midrange L1 & L2ACT
- FTEconomic AnalystACT
- FTDevOps EngineerACT
- FTInformation Security Accreditations AdvisorOther
- FTAccount ManagerNSW
- TPSenior Biztalk ConsultantVIC
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerOther
- CCInteractive UX - UI DesignerNSW
- FTControls Advisor - SAP GRCOther
- TPMid-Level Java DeveloperNSW
- FTMarketing Content WriterOther
- FTSenior Full Stack Developer - PHPNSW