Altec Lansing iM4
- Portability, Decent sound quality
- Distortion at highest volume
The iM4 delivers above average sound quality for a set of portable speakers.
Price$ 169.95 (AUD)
The iM4 is an all around performer in the portable speaker space. It can be used with most portable audio devices, and combines portability and a simple design with surprisingly well balanced sound.
Slightly larger when compared to some portable products we have tested, measuring 261mm x 134mm x 26mm, the iM4 utilises a simple yet effective design. The speakers slide out from the centre unit and can rotate to a full 180 degrees; although this range of motion is hardly necessary as you would never want them pointed directly at the ceiling.
The iM4 is predominantly plastic, with a rubber surface on the top of the unit to rest your audio device on. An inbuilt retracting cable is then used to connect it to the speakers. In the box you'll find an additional longer input cable ideal for a laptop connection as well as four power adaptors for use in different parts of the world.
On the whole we were quiet satisfied with the sound quality of the iM4. Where portable speakers are notorious for emitting unfulfilling bass and emphasising the higher frequencies, the iM4 was surprisingly well balanced. Although the bass was not wonderful, instruments in the lower frequencies were quite clear and had enough presence and power to be felt during our listening sessions.
However, some distortion was present when we pushed it to the highest volume, leading to a deteriorating clarity in the upper registers. Overall the iM4 produced a well balanced sound, which is impressive for a portable speaker system of its size and price.
Combining an analogue power button and volume slider the design may not be the most innovative around, but the iM4's simplicity, portability, and good sound quality make this an attractive package.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Apple TV will serve as hub for remotely controlling HomeKit devices
- Sony Smart B-Trainer headset gives runners vocal advice
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
- Apple shows off iPod touch, nano updates
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Opinon: Life after KRACK
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- Moto X4 review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSharePoint DeveloperACT
- TPSenior Instructional Designer/TrainerQLD
- CCBlue Prism DevelopersNSW
- FTHR Analyst - Remuneration & PerformanceOther
- FTIntegration Developer (WebSphere)Other
- FTexecutive OfficerOther
- TPSenior Project CoordinatorVIC
- FTDigital Producer | High Profile Website | 6 Month ContractOther
- CCSalesforce Business AnalystNSW
- CCFull-Stack DeveloperVIC
- TPSoftware EngineerWA
- CCService DesignerACT
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTProject Manager - SAP PPMOther
- CCMulesoft DeveloperVIC
- FTBuild Support OfficerOther
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- FTChange AnalystOther
- FTMid-Level Project Manager - IP and Voice ProductsOther
- TPJava DeveloperWA
- FTInfrastructure Manager / Service Delivery ManagerVIC
- CCPricing AdministratorVIC
- FTWeb Developer - Drupal 7 or iApplyNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW