Altec Lansing FX4021
- Good sound with certain types of music, Looks good
- Sub sounds hollow and distorted at loud volumes, Sub often sounds boomy
The FX4021 is a competent set of PC speakers that is very much suited to bass-heavy music.
Price$ 249.95 (AUD)
Altec Lansing seems to have solved the problem of often producing understated subwoofers by throwing an extra cone into the mix. The FX4021 contains an isobaric subwoofer, meaning there are two sub cones in the box placed on top of one another.
The design may need a little tweaking but for a small, bass-heavy set of speakers, this in essence does the job. During testing, we noticed the large disparity in results we achieved when testing different types of music. The sub really booms, so tight rhythmic patterns often heard in rock and dance music sounded great. The likes of Jet, U2 and The Chemical Brothers really brought out the best here, with constant and intense bass lines proving to be what this sub was designed for.
Testing on slower and more dispersed sounds of funk and soul music gave us very different results. Where bass lines were more subtle, slower and more varied, the sub sounded highly inaccurate. Jumps in bass lines made the subwoofer pound out the notes at completely different intensities one after another, sounding very unnatural.
Aside from the sub, the satellite speakers displayed sound of an average quality. Highs were not overly well defined but mid range and vocals in particular were tight and clear. High volumes were not handled well though, as distortion became quite dominant and the sub began to sound particularly throaty and hollow when pushed to its limits. Some separation issues also became prevalent when the volume was really pushed. We noticed the highs sometimes dropped out when the sub went to work. This was at very high volumes though and was not something evident during normal listening levels.
There are two control options with the FX4021; a wired control unit and a small remote. The wired control unit sports a cool design with a circular volume dial surrounded by backlit buttons for bass and treble, as well as loudness and SFX modes. Loudness essentially just increased the sub output, while SFX widens the sound image, the latter of which we found valuable. The wired control unit also houses a headphone jack and auxiliary input.
Setup was a simple task with all connections colour coded and running through the sub. A dual-to-single RCA adapter is also included to input a stereo image from a CD player or gaming device.
Essentially, the purchase of the MX4021 will really depend on musical tastes. For the likes of rock and dance music, this will give great results and offer a very attractive output for the asking price.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Apple iPhone X
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
cloudandco Smart Cane
Toys for Boys
Lego Mindstorms EV3
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Xbox One X
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- The Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Will Now Resist the Elements
- Logitech Unveils MX ERGO, their first trackball in nearly a decade
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
- MSI's new Ryzen-ready motherboard coming to Oz
- Seagate Expands Portfolio with 12TB Drives for NAS and Desktop Computing
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- The Best Australian Black Friday Tech Deals That Aren't On Amazon
- Wolfenstein The New Colossus Review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTDelphi DeveloperOther
- CCTechnical LeadQLD
- FTWorkspace/ Workplace Lead/ Manager - ABW environmentOther
- CCMid - Level SAP Test Analyst (Brisbane)WA
- FTOperations Process Improvement ManagerOther
- FTChange Manager- Rail / Fleet MaintenanceOther
- FTTechnical Test AnalystQLD
- FTDigital Account StrategistSA
- CCBusiness Analyst - Technical backgroundVIC
- FTDevOps EngineerNSW
- CCTechnical Team Lead/Application Developer Team Lead - Government OrganisationVIC
- FTSocial Media SpecialistOther
- CCLinux AdministratorNSW
- CCIseries Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- FTJava Software Engineers wanted (Melbourne CBD location)VIC
- CCAxway DeveloperQLD
- FTIntegration Specialist (HL7)Other
- CCRecords AnalystNSW
- CCTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Network Designer - Australian Citizenship RequiredOther
- FTTelecommunications RiggerOther
- FTField Service EngineerOther
- TPSenior Change ManagerACT
- CCICT Project Manager - Port Macquarie NSWNSW