Also Technology OfficeMate
- Excellent price, solid performance for basic tasks
- Little room for upgrading
Although the AlsoTech OfficeMate will get you by with a ready-to-go system that includes a monitor, there's very little room for upgrading. Buying this budget PC might suffice now, but in a year's time, you'll find yourself looking at a whole new system.
Price$ 999.00 (AUD)
Inside and out, the AlsoTech OfficeMate is a basic PC. The low price tag of this bundle reflects the level of components and understandably moderate performance. However, considering the package also includes a 17in Mitsubishi DV170JB LCD monitor together with a keyboard and mouse, the system is ideal for those on a budget.
The OfficeMate uses an Intel Pentium D 940 3.2GHz CPU with 512MB of DDR2 667MHz RAM. We tested the system performance using World Bench 5 where it earned an average score of 84. This score is consistent of a system with these specifications and should handle most essential needs. The dual cores on the CPU will help in multi-tasking situations but with programs like anti-virus, word processors, email and Internet browsers all running simultaneously, the system may experience some slow down. The mediocre system performance can be partially attributed to the limited amount of installed RAM; increasing the memory is definitely recommended. The Albatron P4M800 Pro motherboard supports a maximum of 2GB but bear in mind that there are only two DIMM slots for RAM expansion, so we'd advise you buy one single large memory stick rather than two smaller one's, to allow for further upgrades later.
The OfficeMate uses an Via/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP graphics chip integrated into the motherboard, rather than a dedicated graphics card, so games and heavy rendering tasks are sluggish, if they run at all. A total of three PCI expansion slots are available, along with an 8x accelerated graphics port (AGP) slot. Generally, AGP graphics cards are not as capable as the newer PCI express cards. However, since some manufacturers have AGP versions of their most recently released cards, there should be a few good options if you choose to upgrade at a later stage.
Also Technology has included an 80GB Western Digital hard drive and an LG DVD re-writer. Should you require any additional drives, they shouldn't be difficult to install since the Numan mid-tower case is as basic and user-friendly as you can get. Easily accessible and clearly marked USB, FireWire and audio ports can be seen on the front, while adding components is so simple that even a first-timer shouldn't have too many problems.
Unlike other cases, the Numan mid-tower case doesn't use any thumbscrews. The main access points are held together using bright orange clips that are easily undone or fastened with one single-handed motion. This 'clip-n-play' design continues inside the case with an inventive clip-in system for your optical drives and an equally simple system for all the expansion slots (such as a dedicated graphics card, sound card or wireless network adapter). The hard drive bays face front to rear and are the only screw-in mounts in the case. Although the case is designed for easy upgrades, the motherboard's lack of PCI Express capacities and limited RAM capacity leaves few possibilities for boosting the systems performance down the track.
The CPU is cooled by a stock Intel cooler while a 120mm fan mounted behind the front panel of the case blows air across the hard drive and out the back. This is effectively the only viable means of pushing stagnant hot air out of the case. With so little installed there's no cable mayhem to worry about and subsequently air flow through the case is almost entirely unhindered. Apart from the three PCI expansion slots and AGP port there are four 3.5in hard drive bays, two for floppy drives or card readers and four 5.25in drive bays. On the rear panel there are four more USB ports, a 10/100 LAN port and audio connections.
Join the newsletter!
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
cloudandco Smart Cane
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Toys for Boys
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Google Daydream View VR Headset
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Bose SoundLink Micro
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Xbox One X
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- macOS High Sierra ‘root’ security issue allows admin access to your Mac—but there's a fix
- Apple Roll Out High Sierra
- ASUS' VivoMini VM45 gets upgraded to 7th Generation Intel processors
- NVIDIA Supercharges Rendering Performance with AI
- HP reboots Omen desktop with more of what gamers love
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPBusiness and Test Analyst | Student Management SystemQLD
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- CCRecords AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - Office 365QLD
- TPSAP Migration Module LeadNSW
- TPChange ManagerVIC
- FTJunior-Mid Level Java DeveloperQLD
- FTTechnology Project CoordinatorOther
- FTMicrofocus Cobol DeveloperOther
- FTInfra Deployment Lead/- Windows 10 SOE rollout projectOther
- FTFinance Applications SpecialistOther
- FTSAP SD ConsultantNSW
- CCDynamics AX Functional Consultant ? Finance | Supply ChainQLD
- TPBusiness Analyst - Public Sector Health ProgramQLD
- CCSenior Data governance consultantVIC
- FTICT Procurement ManagerOther
- FTBusiness AnalystOther
- CCSystems Administrator - not for profit organisationQLD
- CCSenior MySQL Database AdministratorNSW
- FTMultiple SOC Analyst RolesOther
- FTData Centre Support Engineer -| 6mth ContractOther
- FT.Net DeveloperOther
- FTSenior Finance AnalystOther
- CCTechnical Lead - DigitalNSW
- CCProject ManagerQLD