AliphCom Jawbone Prime Bluetooth headset
A stylish yet unobtrusive Bluetooth headset with great sound quality
- Great style and design, unobtrusive when worn, excellent audio quality, good noise-cancellation, range of tips and ear hooks included
- Buttons aren't practical, incoming audio could be louder, expensive
AliphCom's Jawbone Prime is one of the best Bluetooth headsets on the market, combining a stylish and unobtrusive design with excellent noise-cancellation technology. We couldn't find a great fit with the included ear buds and incoming audio volume could be louder, but on the whole, this is an excellent headset -- albeit at a premium price.
Price$ 159.00 (AUD)
Considered one of the best Bluetooth headsets available on the market, AliphCom's Jawbone Prime combines appealing style with excellent noise-cancelling capabilities.
The AliphCom Jawbone Prime Bluetooth headset is stylish but its size means it remains unobtrusive when worn. The curved, angled design is highlighted by a stylish, etched pattern on the front. The headset's build quality feels superb.
The AliphCom Jawbone Prime ships with no less than six ear buds: regular buds and hooked buds, in small, medium and large sizes. AliphCom claims the two included ear loops aren't required, but we struggled to achieve a comfortable fit without one. Once fitted, the AliphCom Jawbone Prime Bluetooth headset remained comfortable throughout use and the curved design sits well on the side of your face.
The AliphCom Jawbone Prime Bluetooth headset has two camouflaged buttons. The first is towards the top of the headset and adjusts volume, the NoiseAssassin function and ends calls, while the second answers calls and powers the headset on and off. Depending on the function required, you tap, press or hold the buttons. Though these controls suit the unit's style, they aren't overly practical — the volume in particular is annoying to adjust with just one button and it's hard to feel just exactly where the buttons are located while the Jawbone Prime is being worn.
The Jawbone Prime's design also means that the tiny LED is a little difficult to see. Though this is a minor point as the headset spends most of its time in your ear, the LED only glows when buttons are pressed and doesn't indicate of its power status when in standby mode.
The Jawbone Prime Bluetooth headset has excellent sound quality, made possible by what AliphCom dubs the Voice Activity Sensor (VAS). A form of bone conduction, the VAS is a small, plastic bulb that sits against your jaw line when worn, and detects the frequencies of your voice. Unlike the Motorola Endeavor HX1 Bluetooth headset, the AliphCom Jawbone Prime doesn't digitise your voice and our callers were impressed with outgoing audio quality — our voice was clear and free from distortion. The Jawbone Prime is most effective when the VAS is touching the side of your face, but still works well even if this isn't the case.
The Jawbone Prime does a capable job of minimising wind noise. On an outdoor balcony on the 21st floor of a high rise office building, we were able to hold a clear conversation. Our voice did sound a little softer with wind noise, but the headset was still an effective communication tool. Incoming audio quality is clear and also free of distortion, but we would have appreciated a boost in volume.
AliphCom rates the Jawbone Prime at 4.5 hours of talk time and over eight days of standby time. A USB cable and an AC adapter are both included in the sales package and the charging adapter has a stylish curved end that magnetically clips to the top of the Jawbone Prime.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- OnePlus 5 rumors: Everything we know about the upcoming budget flagship
- Google makes the best Android apps easier to find with Android Excellence
- Motorola's Z2 Play comes with a smaller battery, a higher price tag, and new Moto Mods
- Sony outs launch details for its Xperia XZ Premium flagship and futuristic Touch projector
- Andy Rubin's Essential Phone is finally here and it's weird
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBusiness AnalystSA
- FTLead Network EngineerOther
- FTJava DeveloperWA
- CCSenior Network Architect l CCNP/CCIE R&S l Cisco ACINSW
- CCGIS ESRI DeveloperWA
- TPProcurement Specialist - ITQLD
- FTHealthcare Integration Support/ Junior DBA - Brisbane BasedQLD
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- FTJunior .Net DeveloperOther
- FTMarketing Content Writer - Tenders & SocialNSW
- FTSystem EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Network ArchitectVIC
- FTSenior Development Expert – Adelaide Delivery CentreSA
- FTImplementation Consultant - SMSF SoftwareOther
- FTTech Lead - FinTech - Product DevelopmentOther
- CCSystems Specialist - Linux / Windows / Network l Port MacquarieNSW
- FTNetwork Capacity PlannerOther
- FTPython Fullstack Developer (Full Stack Environment)Other
- CCTechnical Product OwnerQLD
- CCWintel Infrastructure EngineersACT
- FTEmail Marketing Specialist/ Campaign SpecialistOther
- FTSenior Cerner Applications SpecialistOther
- FTDevOps EngineerOther
- TPEnterprise Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCPerformance TesterNSW