Alien Skin Software Bokeh
Bokeh is the real-world photographic technique for creating images where the subject is largely in focus and the background is blurred.
- Excellent, realistic-looking results; great fine-tuning controls
- Using the plug-in often requires manual cutouts, which are time-consuming
Alien Skin is great if you or your photographer doesn’t have access to the necessary lenses to achieve a Bokeh effect, or you want to add this effect at the end of a composition.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
NOTE: Pricing for this product is in US$.
Bokeh is the real-world photographic technique for creating images where the subject is largely in focus and the background is blurred. The effect is usually caused by using a shallow depth-of-field with a large aperture lens (such as Canon’s EF 85mm f/1.2 II), or a telephoto or macro lens; it’s common in wedding, sports or nature photography.
Alien Skin’s plug-in fakes this effect, which is great if you or your photographer doesn’t have access to such lenses, or you want to add this effect at the end of a composition.
After applying the plug-in, you can choose the type of lens you want, or just use the default setting. This is for sticklers, as we saw little difference between the lens options. More important is the amount of bokeh and whether you apply it over the whole image, with a round unblurred focal region (and the focus dropping away from this gradually), or a flat gradient of focus from one region to another (here called planar). Both focal regions include handle-driven controls that are fast and easy to use.
The downside is that, unless the depth of the image allows smoothly flat or round dropping-away of focus, you’re still going to need to cut out the foreground subject before applying your bokeh – which can be time-consuming. Both the acorn (above) and taps (below) were cut out in Photoshop before applying full and radial bokeh respectively.
Bokeh includes fine-tuning controls over aperture type – including the diaphram shape and the ‘creaminess’ over the highlights – and vignetting, to mimic real lenses in a way that Photoshop’s blur tools can’t match.
It supports the 64-bit Vista version of Photoshop and 16-bit images, but not 32-bit ones (or CMYK pictures).
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Optimizely expands its enterprise-focused offerings
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - PaymentsOther
- CCUser Research - QualitativeACT
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCService DesignerACT
- CCMessageQueue/DataPower AdministratorVIC
- FTBackend Java DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Workbrain Functional Expert - Brisbane BasedVIC
- FTClass Super - Application Support Analyst - SMSF solutionsOther
- CCService DesignerNSW
- FTProject Manager - ApplicationsACT
- FTSr Integration Architect - next year startACT
- CCBlue Prism DevelopersVIC
- FTCustomer Marketing ExecutiveOther
- FTJunior iOS DeveloperWA
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTexecutive OfficerOther
- FTPractice Manager - SecurityVIC
- CCDevOps Engineers x 3VIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Business Case - Risk & Compliance - ContractNSW
- FTNetwork and Security EngineerOther
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCWintel Engineer - BrisbaneNSW