Akvis Sketch 8.5
Akvis’ Sketch is the only plug-in we’ve seen that produces decent pencil drawing from images.
- Excellent pencil drawing-style output
- Many bugs; odd, slow workflow
Akvis’ Sketch produces decent pencil drawing from images, though the plug-in is let down by a wonky workflow and some bad bugs.
Price$ 218.61 (AUD)
There are many plug-ins that claim to turn your photos into pencil art — and most do a worse job of it than a chimp with a blunt 2B. Akvis’ Sketch is the only plug-in we’ve seen that produces decent pencil drawing from images, though it’s let down by a wonky workflow and some bad bugs.
When you first apply the Sketch plug-in, your image appears with the standard layout of tools on the left, commands and before-and-after tabs above and settings on the right. On your image is a small dotted rectangle that shows a preview of the effects of your settings. You modify your settings, then press the Run button to see how your effect will look, which takes five to ten seconds. Then things get strange.
If you want to modify your sketch, you alter the parameters, and return to the ‘before’ tab so that the preview rectangle provides an instant preview of your settings. Except that the preview rectangle is often nowhere to be seen. Certain parameters will update in real-time. We can see why some changes are instant — such as the level of colour that bleeds through — and why some re-render the whole image, but Sketch doesn’t tell you which are which until you try them.
Another deeply annoying bug is that if you attempt to make Sketch’s dialogue box too large, your image corrupts and stays that way, even if you quit out. CMYK images and Smart Objects aren’t supported, either.
What makes Sketch worthwhile is the effect’s quality. You can modify the angle, length limits and size of strokes; the intensity and hatching of midtones; and whether to apply watercolour, charcoal and colouration. You can also apply a canvas effect, and there are tools for applying effects to only part of an image.
Join the newsletter!
Why virtualise your NAS environment?
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 4 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- MWC 2018: Everything You Need To Know
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPBusiness Analyst | Initial 3+ mth contractQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FTChange ManagerOther
- FTSDWAN ConsultantOther
- FTIncident ManagerOther
- FTSEO ExecutiveOther
- FTNetwork Infrastructure Program ManagerOther
- FTProgram ManagerOther
- FTChange Manager OCMOther
- CCApplications EngineerNSW
- FTSoftware Technical WriterOther
- FTDigital Business AnalystOther
- CCHadoop DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior UX Digital Developer, Digital Design DevelopmentOther
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperWA
- CCScrum Master Lead - Online DigitalVIC
- FTBusiness Intelligence DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Project ManagerOther
- FTPrincipal Consultant - Scheduling & Planning (Primavera & MSP)Other
- CCXamarin DeveloperNSW
- FTAnalyst DeveloperACT
- FTNetwork AdministratorVIC
- FTCommunications & Change AnalystOther
- CCSharepoint DeveloperVIC