Akvis Sketch 8.5
Akvis’ Sketch is the only plug-in we’ve seen that produces decent pencil drawing from images.
- Excellent pencil drawing-style output
- Many bugs; odd, slow workflow
Akvis’ Sketch produces decent pencil drawing from images, though the plug-in is let down by a wonky workflow and some bad bugs.
Price$ 218.61 (AUD)
There are many plug-ins that claim to turn your photos into pencil art — and most do a worse job of it than a chimp with a blunt 2B. Akvis’ Sketch is the only plug-in we’ve seen that produces decent pencil drawing from images, though it’s let down by a wonky workflow and some bad bugs.
When you first apply the Sketch plug-in, your image appears with the standard layout of tools on the left, commands and before-and-after tabs above and settings on the right. On your image is a small dotted rectangle that shows a preview of the effects of your settings. You modify your settings, then press the Run button to see how your effect will look, which takes five to ten seconds. Then things get strange.
If you want to modify your sketch, you alter the parameters, and return to the ‘before’ tab so that the preview rectangle provides an instant preview of your settings. Except that the preview rectangle is often nowhere to be seen. Certain parameters will update in real-time. We can see why some changes are instant — such as the level of colour that bleeds through — and why some re-render the whole image, but Sketch doesn’t tell you which are which until you try them.
Another deeply annoying bug is that if you attempt to make Sketch’s dialogue box too large, your image corrupts and stays that way, even if you quit out. CMYK images and Smart Objects aren’t supported, either.
What makes Sketch worthwhile is the effect’s quality. You can modify the angle, length limits and size of strokes; the intensity and hatching of midtones; and whether to apply watercolour, charcoal and colouration. You can also apply a canvas effect, and there are tools for applying effects to only part of an image.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Optimizely expands its enterprise-focused offerings
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCLoad Balancer SpecialistWA
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)Other
- FTIT Support & System AdministratorNSW
- FTSolution Architect/Designer - Telecom IndustryOther
- FTMiddleware Engineer/ Tibco ActiveMatrix or other ESBOther
- CCSenior Internet Services Engineer - DevOpsNSW
- CCData Center Operations EngineerWA
- FTData ModellingACT
- CCWholesale Trading Solutions ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Java DeveloperOther
- FTClient Delivery DirectorACT
- FTMultiple DevOps EngineersNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Permanent PositionQLD
- FTBusiness Project Manager - Non ITNSW
- TPDelivery Lead - IT Services Function - Day rateNSW
- CCF5 Operational Support EngineerWA
- FTTIBCO iProcess LeadOther
- FTHead of Engineering - FrontendNSW
- CCTransition Manger - Infrastructure ServicesVIC
- FTProduct Manager (IT Clinical Systems) - Permanent - Syd, Melb or BrisbNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Operational experience requiredOther
- FTTM1 Application Management AnalystOther
- CCSenior Service Delivery ManagerVIC
- CCITSM Integration Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCProduct ManagerNSW