Agnitum Outpost Pro Security Suite 2008
- Decent firewall and antivirus and antispyware modules
- Lots of pop-up alerts, not a very good spam filter
Agnitum Outpost Pro Security Suite 2008 remains in essence a top-notch firewall with some security features bolted on — some good, some not so good. Price-wise, it's not a compelling proposition. For the moment, Norton 360 remains the security suite of choice for the non-techie user.
Price$ 49.95 (AUD)
Probably best known as a firewall author, Agnitum has revamped its security bundle, Agnitum Outpost Pro Security Suite 2008 — with mixed results. Still heavily focused on the firewall, Agnitum Outpost Pro Security Suite 2008 includes antimalware, antispam, host, rootkit, Web and transaction protection. It is available in single-user and five user versions.
The most obvious change is the user interface. No longer is there a distinction between Internet and "plug-ins" — this list is replaced by the security modules available. You expand each item in Agnitum Outpost Pro Security Suite 2008's left pane and status details are revealed on the right.
The firewall remains as good as ever, on a par with Zone Alarm. Similarly, Outpost Pro Security Suite's combined antivirus (based on the VirusBuster engine) and antispyware module returns good scores and has won recent certification from the likes of VB100 and ICSA Labs. So no complaints there.
The suite isn't as "smart" as its rivals and can swamp you with pop-up alerts. Although it has a "learn" mode for its firewall and antispam, it still requires a relatively high degree of user intervention compared to the likes of Norton 360, which takes intelligent decisions on fairly arcane matters on behalf of the user.
You can tell the Agnitum Outpost Pro Security Suite 2008 firewall to learn your behaviour over a week and automatically create rules, but this rather dangerously presumes your PC isn't already infected with, say, a Trojan.
You can also get it to scan files really quickly, but to do this it uses the same tricks employed by rootkits and so can trigger a false alert. SmartScan is turned off by default.
Unlike its main rivals, Agnitum Outpost Pro Security Suite 2008 lacks true parental controls and full network security protection. Without doubt, its weakest element is the spam filter. Like many others, it's based on a Bayesian filter that learns to identify spam, but this involves you manually marking spam emails.
You can make the program analyse a collection of spam emails, which is what we did, but then it treated an email we sent ourselves as spam. Even when we specifically marked it as not spam, another self-addressed email we sent ended up in the spam folder. It works only with Microsoft mail clients, too.
A turn-off is the way Agnitum Outpost Pro Security Suite 2008 presents its status results — at times it resembles a spreadsheet of numbers. This may suit some techies, but the average domestic user's eyes will simply glaze over when confronted with things like this.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Wanawiki is the WannaCry fix that might save affected PCs—if you work fast
- Digital signature service DocuSign hacked and email addresses stolen
- The WannaCry ransomware might have a link to North Korea
- Paying the WannaCry ransom will probably get you nothing. Here's why.
- WannaCry attacks are only the beginning
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Asus launches laptops to start Computex 2017
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCService DeskSA
- FTSupport Analyst - TallymanVIC
- CCSQL Analyst DeveloperNSW
- FTEnterprise Architect - BusinessQLD
- TPBusiness Analyst - Change and Process ImprovementQLD
- FTSenior Network EngineerNSW
- CCProject Delivery LeadQLD
- FTIntegration Developer (WebSphere Message Broker / Java)SA
- FTEnterprise Architect - Network and TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCGIS Consultant/ Developer - BRISBANENSW
- FTeCommerce Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior DeveloperNSW
- FTInfrastructure Engineer - End User ComputingNSW
- CCSharepoint DeveloperVIC
- FTPeopleSoft Campus Solution ConsultantNSW
- FTSQL BI Report DeveloperQLD
- TPNetwork and Systems AdministratorNSW
- CCIT Security Risk AnalystVIC
- CCMaster SchedulerACT
- FTTechnical WriterACT
- TPSenior Developer - API - Data ReportingNSW
- CCState-wide Business Transition Lead - BrisbaneVIC
- FTManager - Commercial ClientsACT
- CCTechnical WriterVIC