Adobe Premiere Pro CS5
Adobe's updated version of Premiere Pro CS5 offers new, cutting-edge features for professional video editors
- Native 64-bit application; Mercury Playback Engine and GPU-acceleration; integrated script-to-screen workflow; interoperability with competing formats; extended camera support; editing enhancements; Encore, Media Encoder and OnLocation bundled
- Powerful Mac Pro and third-party hardware required for Mercury Playback Engine
Creative Suite aficionados have been waiting patiently for the 64-bit support in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5. But if you really want to speed up your video work flow, you may need to upgrade your hardware kit and spring for an expensive graphics card.
Price$ 1,333.00 (AUD)
Adobe is aiming high with the newly native 64-bit Premiere CS5, offering a range of cutting-edge features for the professional video market. First among these is the GPU-accelerated Adobe Mercury Playback Engine (MPE). This allows you to open and work with HD and higher-resolution sequences in real time, enjoy smooth scrubbing and play back complex projects without rendering.
One downside is that MPE can only run on Adobe-certified Nvidia CUDA graphics cards; another is that GPU acceleration is only supported on Snow Leopard. We tested this facility on a suitably souped-up machine and the effects were impressive, with speedy application of multiple effects like colour corrections, Gaussian Blur and blend modes, plus scrubbing through footage with no performance degradation.
Given the very high standard of kit used in professional editing, this feature will win many admirers, but if your Mac doesn’t quite make the grade, MPE can adjust the playback resolution of your video in the Source Monitor or Program Monitor. With high-resolution footage such as RED 4K, you can set playback resolution from 1/2 to 1/16 for smooth viewing. Setting Pause resolution to Full lets you quickly check the quality of focus or edge details – particularly useful when you don’t have the luxury of an on-set HD monitor.
Also new in Premiere Pro is native support for file-based video formats such as Sony XDCAM HD 50, Panasonic AVCCAM and AVC-Intra, as well as DPX file import/export for editing with 10-bit, uncompressed digital intermediate files. DPX export lets you output 4K content directly from Premiere Pro without having to go through After Effects. Native support for RED R3D files has also been enhanced, with a new Source Settings dialog box offering non-destructive adjustment and control over the look of RED Raw footage.
Native support for video shot with Canon, Nikon, and other DSLR cameras has also been added, so that you can take advantage of full-frame 1,920 x 1,080 or 1,280 x 720 HD video shot on standard 35mm lenses. Premiere Pro also continues support for variants of Panasonic P2, Sony XDCAM, XDCAM EX, and XDCAM HD, HDV and AVCHD. And Premiere still lets you combine a wide range of sources with different resolutions, frame rates, and aspect ratios in a single sequence without complex format conversions. For example, if you drop a RED R3D clip into an HD sequence, the clip will be automatically cropped to the HD frame size.
The new Go To Gap command also helps make editing more productive, as it can quickly find and remove gaps of at least one frame long on a single video track or on all the video tracks in a sequence. Two new keyboard shortcuts let you extend the length of clips on a timeline to the current position of the Current Time Indicator, which is useful for filling gaps before or after edits in the timeline.
Interoperability between Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro and Avid Media Composer means that not only can you import, convert and edit files from these applications, you can also send them to After Effects or Encore via Dynamic Link, and export your projects as a Final Cut Pro XML file or AAF/OMF files for use in Avid editing software.
Green-screen keyer Ultra has been fully integrated into Premiere Pro, while the 64-bit Media Encoder and OnLocation are bundled applications. Premiere Pro also ships with Encore, which can now create searchable, interactive SWF files known as web DVDs. A new multi-page menu function can offer multiple menu-page options to end users without interrupting the playback of audio and video background elements on Blu-ray discs.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Optimizely expands its enterprise-focused offerings
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Apple TV 4K review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTDigital Content ProducerOther
- CCSenior Windows EngineerNSW
- CCTest ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Permanent PositionQLD
- TPProject ManagerACT
- CCProcess Improvement Specialist - TelcoVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - eCommerce/Supply ChainOther
- CCPHP DeveloperNSW
- FTDigital Reporting AnalystOther
- CCAxway DeveloperQLD
- TPInstructional DesignerNSW
- CCLSS BPMN Process Improvement AnalystVIC
- CCNetwork EngineerNSW
- CCIntegration SpecialistQLD
- CCRegulatory Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Agile Software Business AnalystOther
- FTTechnical Digital ProducerOther
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Banking and FinanceOther
- FTCustomer Service RepresentativeOther
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- CCJava DeveloperQLD
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTDigital Account StrategistSA
- FTCloud Architect - AWS, Azure, ADOther
- FTSenior Project Controls Officer / CoordinatorOther