Adobe Systems Premiere Elements 7
Adobe Premiere Elements 7 is the update to Adobe's Premiere Elements 4 consumer movie-making tool. Obviously.
- Web integration
- Not a particularly compelling upgrade, interface issues
The upgrades to Adobe Premiere Elements 7 didn't strike us as very compelling. We like the addition of downloadable walkthroughs and templates, the Smart Tags, and the ability to sync files without thinking about it. But the interface needs some housecleaning, Elements' integration with Photoshop.com is pretty thin, and its integration with third-party services even thinner. More Webbiness is fine, but what we really want is more YouTubiness.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
Your video stinks!
The Premiere Elements application does have several new features that don't depend on online interaction. One is the Smart Tag feature, which analyses your clips to identify ones that may be too dark, blurry, shaky, or out-of-focus — and that includes faces. We agreed with its evaluations (even when it called one of my videos "low quality"), and it works quickly. By default, Premiere Elements' and Photoshop Elements' organisers share the same catalogue file, and tags (other than Smart Tags)created in one application show up in both.
Another new feature, Instant Movie, lets you quickly create a movie by selecting clips, choosing a theme, and letting the application implement transitions and effects based on that theme. (Other video-editing applications, such as Pinnacle Studio and Corel VideoStudio, have such automated tools.) With my clips, Elements' tool worked about as well as its competitors — which is to say, not very well. We had trouble finding a theme suitable for my clips; the cuts from one shot to another seemed strange, and the transitions were often inappropriate.
You can edit your movie after applying an Instant Movie theme, but be warned: It broke our 5-minute movie into hundreds of tiny pieces of video, audio, transitions, and effects, making editing the movie extremely difficult. Adobe Premiere Elements 7 ships with 22 Instant Movie themes; you'll be able to download new themes too.
Adobe Premiere Elements 7 has a new feature called VideoMerge, which is supposed to simplify the process of taking video that was shot with a single-colour background and superimposing it on another video (for that supercool TV weatherperson look). When you drop a clip on top of another clip in the timeline, and Elements detects a solid background, it will ask whether you want to use VideoMerge; alternatively, you can initiate the process manually.
The feature worked quite well with footage supplied by Adobe, but far worse with our own blue-screen-background footage: Despite its supplying a tolerance slider, the background video showed through my foreground video. Elements 7 won't let you apply effects to specific areas of the video frame, so it's difficult (although not impossible) to mask areas where background video that shows through.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Asus launches laptops to start Computex 2017
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- FTSenior DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior Helpdesk Support OfficerQLD
- FTStorage EngineerSA
- FTSenior Systems AnalystSA
- FTSenior Infrastructure Business AnalystVIC
- CCBusiness Project Manager-Grant ManagementNSW
- CCMaster Data Officer - SAPNSW
- CCImplementation Manager/PlannerNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectSA
- FTTechnical Solution ArchitectSA
- FTBusiness Development Manager IT Software & Primary HealthcareQLD
- CCOracle CCB DesignerVIC
- FT.NET DeveloperNSW
- FTSAP ISU Billing Consultant - FunctionalVIC
- CCSenior Magento DeveloperVIC
- CCImplementation Manager/PlannerQLD
- CCSAP ISU Functional ConsultantVIC
- FTProject Manager / Web DeveloperVIC
- FTSales Client Services Manager (Mid-market)QLD
- CCSAP Deployment ConsultantNSW
- TPEnterprise Solutions ArchitectNSW
- FTProject Coordinator - Digital Applications (IT)NSW
- FTSystem Engineer - VMWare, UCS, NetAppVIC