Adobe Systems Premiere Elements 2
- Powerful editing
- Premiere Elements 2 is an elegant, powerful video editor that will make you look like you know what you're doing. Want proof? Next time you're at my house, I'll show you one of my home DVDs.
Premiere Elements 2 is an elegant, powerful video editor that will make you look like you know what you're doing. Want proof? Next time you're at my house, I'll show you one of my home DVDs.
Price$ 169.00 (AUD)
Premiere Elements 1.0 was a great first effort from Adobe. However the embarrassment of riches it had to draw on for its first serious foray into the entry level video editing market, namely the powerful and professional Premiere Pro, may have led to problems in determining how much hand holding the first time video editor needed.
As it turned out, the first time video editor needed a lot more hand holding than what was provided in Premiere Elements 1.0. Adobe Premiere 2.0 has rectified this issue of assuming too much within the interface and workflow, providing stronger task based processes and a better help structure, much in the same way as Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 has developed on the home photo editing front.
However the good news for more experienced video users is that it is quite easy to interrupt the task process and add your own personal touch to a project, while not disrupting the workflow.
By default, Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0 breaks the video making experience into a series of task based actions, whereby you capture video, work with your video and export the final movie ready for your audience.
Therefore, Premiere Elements 2.0 makes no demands on the user to fully understand the finer points of editing video if that's how the user wants to work. At the top right of the screen is a section showing capture, edit, titles and DVD. If you work through this section in the correct order, you should end up with a finished movie at the other end. The left side of the screen provides access to the Media downloader and the Export tab, to output your video project to anything from a DVD to a mobile phone.
When it comes to downloading video, or anything for that matter, Premiere Elements 2.0 is remarkably agnostic - the Media Downloader handls everything from MPEG4 video from tapeless camcorder to MPEG-2 from a first generation DVD camcorder with ease. Of course the normal DV camcorder transfer processes are supported, with IEEE 1394/Firewire support as well as USB/USB 2 support. Basically, if you can hook it up to a PC and download it, Elements 2.0 will let you put it on the timeline.
Keeping everything in its native file format is also a big time saver when it comes to the final render and output stage. Preview the edited footage on a TV straight off the timeline to make sure the resolution and colours are accurate and you're ready to make your first DVD. Select a DVD template, establish the appropriate links, write your titles and pick the background music. Finally, put a blank DVD into your PC's DVD recorder and create some movie magic.
A bundling option is available where you get Photoshop Elements 4.0 and Premiere Elements 2.0 for $245, which is probably one of the best photo/video deals available at the moment. Adobe's second effort at a video creation solution for the non-professional is commendable and will satisfy the camcorder user wanting to make DVD movies that are fun to make and entertaining to watch.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Asus launches laptops to start Computex 2017
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCService DeskSA
- TPProject Manager | Applications and Project InitiationQLD
- FTSenior Infrastructure Business AnalystVIC
- FTFrontend developerNSW
- FTSenior Drupal DeveloperQLD
- TPJunior Node.js DeveloperVIC
- FTScrum Master - TechnicalNSW
- FTSecurity ConsultantVIC
- FTBusiness AnalystACT
- FTTest Analyst (Datawarehouse)SA
- FTData Analyst / Reporting SpecialistNSW
- FTProject Manager Large ICT Enabled Business Change ProjectQLD
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksVIC
- FTLevel 2 Desktop SupportACT
- TPData AnalystVIC
- FTBUSINESS TECHNOLOGY PARTNERVIC
- FTDisaster Recovery AnalystNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTlevel 2/3 SupportVIC
- FTSenior SharePoint Administrator. Location -ACTACT
- TPAssistant Change Manager | System Implementation ProjectQLD
- TPSolution Architect - LIS ProgramQLD
- FTQlikview Developer | Contract 6-12mthVIC
- FTEnterprise ArchitectVIC