Adobe Systems Encore DVD 2.0
- Powerful functionality
- Lacks Mac support, Needs a high end system
If you've got the right machine for the job Encore DVD 2.0 is one of the best options around for DVD authoring.
Price$ 635.00 (AUD)
Creating a DVD is not that hard these days. Creating a DVD that looks professional and works flawlessly - now that's a different matter. Adobe Encore DVD 2.0 is an easy to use DVD authoring program which integrates perfectly with the rest of the Adobe Production Studio suite. When it comes to most Adobe software, many people are baulked by the interface which looks overly complicated and hard to understand. After half an hour with Encore we worked out how to create a basic DVD that was both functional and attractive. After a few more days and a little reading we were blown away at how good our projects were looking.
When you first open Encore the interface is a little overwhelming. It seems rather difficult but in actual fact it isn't too hard to work out. On the left of the screen is your source bin where you keep all you original clips, menus and buttons. These are then dropped into the flowchart window. In the flowchart window you create links between the buttons in your menu and the destination they the send the user when clicked. This destination can be another menu or a video or audio item. Video and audio have to be dropped into the timeline in order to become available in the flowchart.
Once you have placed all your menus and set the destination of the buttons, the last thing you need to do is make sure the navigation works. Thankfully, Encore has a preview function which gives you a complete version of the DVD that you can check before burning your project and fix any bugs.
We found the interface quite powerful and were thrilled to see the level of integration with Photoshop. Each menu or button can be edited with Photoshop and changes will be applied within Encore. When doing menu buttons we found the auto-trace feature quite useful. Essentially, it automatically creates a block shape of the button you have selected which is shown when the user has that button selected. The only problem with this feature is that using this method isn't very attractive, so if you have the time, you should always make separate buttons for active and inactive menu options.
Encore can also use motion backgrounds for the menus with limits on clip length. This is just like a professional DVD you would buy at a store and looks extremely sophisticated if done well. Essentially, through integration with After Effects 7.0, Premiere 2.0 and Photoshop CS2 you can create motion menus that look expertly crafted. Obviously this requires quite a bit of pre-knowledge of those software packages and unlike Encore, they aren't as easy to learn.
We found Encore DVD 2.0 a pleasure to use but it was not without its faults. The fact that it can only be used with Windows XP discounts both Mac users and users of earlier versions of Windows from using it. We received this program as part of the Adobe Production Studio package and were surprised to discover that it wouldn't install on anything less than a 64 bit AMD processor or a Pentium 4. This also limits its appeal. Lastly, while the program supports quite a few video formats and can automatically transcode them when making the final project for burning, Encore 2.0 does not support Quicktime which is a real shame.
If you want a program to create professional looking DVD projects quickly and easily, you can't go past Encore 2.0.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Optimizely expands its enterprise-focused offerings
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Jabra Elite Sport (2017) review
- How to download the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update right now
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTImplementation ManagerOther
- TPSenior Security Consultant - WirelessNSW
- FTIT Contract ManagerWA
- CCSenior Test Engineer - Telecom domainVIC
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist - Senior roleOther
- FT3rd Line IT EngineerOther
- FTNet DeveloperOther
- TPFront End DeveloperWA
- TPIT Business AnalystNSW
- FTJunior iOS DeveloperWA
- FTNet DeveloperACT
- FTService Desk Analyst/Telecommunications Service AnalystOther
- FTPersonal AssistantSA
- FTWorkday TesterVIC
- CCSystems AnalystACT
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCPenetration Test AnalystACT
- FTLevel 1 Application Support (POS)QLD
- CCJava Developer- API &Micro servicesNSW
- CCClient-side Front End Developer (Angular 2)ACT
- CCData Analyst - SAP Data Services Exp RequiredQLD
- CCProject SchedulerWA
- FTRuby on Rails DeveloperOther
- CCSenior PMO ManagerNSW