Adobe Systems Creative Suite 4
Adobe Systems has announced the next generation of Adobe Creative Suite products in its biggest software release to date.
- Increased Flash integration, simplified workflow system
Simplified workflow system, increased Flash integration, and community expansion — Adobe Creative Suite 4 certainly looks like a compelling step forward. We'll be updating our review to add more depth to our conclusions over the coming weeks.
Price$ 2,539.00 (AUD)
Among the highlights of Adobe Creative Suite 4 (CS4) are a simplified workflow system, new tools for integrating Flash animations into projects, and expanded support for community features.
Creative Suite 4 remains a cornucopia of individual applications, most of which are sold independently, too. But with CS4, Adobe tightens the links among the applications — evidence that the company recognises designers' need to switch seamlessly between programs without leaving a project. Adobe addresses this need with a newly simplified workflow, which will permit users to design across media more efficiently and to complete common tasks more easily.
For example, an expanded version of Dynamic Link in CS4 Production Premium will enable designers to move content between After Effects, Premiere Pro, Soundbooth, and Encore, and to see their updates instantly without rendering.
Illustrator CS4 now lets designers work from multiple art boards at once. Designers can pull up art boards from within InDesign, and can then drag and drop elements from those boards into page layouts. This tool has promise: it can be especially helpful for coordinating illustration and text for books or pamphlets, for example.
InDesign CS4 also includes a Live Preflight tool to help designers catch production errors, and a customisable Links panel for placing files.
The new Content-Aware Scaling tool in Photoshop automatically recomposes an image as it is resized, preserving vital areas as the image conforms to new dimensions. Photoshop CS4 also will have 3D capabilities, which will enable you to take a 2D image and wrap it around a 3D wireframe, such as a sphere.
With this latest iteration, Adobe promises a more intuitive process for creating what it calls "life-like" animations in Flash CS4. The new version has the ability to apply tweens to objects rather than to keyframes, giving designers greater control over animation attributes. And the Bones tool helps create more realistic animations between linked objects. These new Flash features allow designers to directly produce animations.
A big addition to Creative Suite 4 is its collaboration tools. Adobe ConnectNow, accessible from most applications in the suite, allows up to three people to collaborate in real time. This feature should be useful to designers who want hands-on input from their clients. In addition, designers can share colour harmonies via the Adobe Kuler, have technical questions answered in Adobe Community Help, and access a media and tutorial library through Resource Central.
Adobe is offering prospective users a choice of six suites or full-version upgrades of 13 stand-alone applications, including Photoshop, Photoshop Extended, InDesign, Illustrator, Flash Professional, Dreamweaver, After Effects, and Premiere Pro.
Last May, customers got a preview of the next-generation versions of Dreamweaver, Fireworks, and Soundbooth, when Adobe released beta versions for download on its Adobe Labs site. CS4 will reach the market in mid-October 2008. We'll be taking a closer look at Creative Suite 4.0 over the next few weeks.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 2 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Oppo A73 review: The budget smartphone that sets the bar for 2018
- Sony a7R Mk III review: Full, in-depth review
- Which 2018 Smart Speaker Should I Buy
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Splunk DeveoperVIC
- TPICT Manager | Business SystemsVIC
- FTOnsite Support Engineer (sys admin)Other
- CCSenior Data and Analytics Project ManagerNSW
- FTService Design Analyst- Service Management Specialist- ITILOther
- CCInfrastructure Architect - IT ArchitectVIC
- FTWeb Editor/Digital PublisherOther
- FTCloud Systems EngineerOther
- FTApplications Solution ArchitectOther
- FTDesktop Support AnalystOther
- CCTivoli Netcool DeveloperVIC
- CCSalesforce DeveloperVIC
- CCMicrosoft CRM Technical ConsultantNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- FTSenior Infrastructure EngineerOther
- FT.Net Developer - Syspro experience mandatoryOther
- FTProject Officer / Project Scheduler - Gold Coast BasedOther
- FTDevOps EngineerOther
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Data AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Project AnalystOther
- CCDigital Project ManagerNSW
- FTCustomer Service ConsultantOther
- TPAgile CoachNSW