Adobe Systems Audition 3.0
Adobe Audition 3.0 is a professional-grade digital audio-editing program.
- Top-notch audio editing
- Not cheap, compatibility issues with Vista SP1 64-bit
Adobe Audition 3.0 may not be the cheapest but it remains a top-notch audio editing program. More than just a MIDI controller and audio program, it lets you graphically and colourfully see deep inside the inner workings of music and audio samples, while helping create pro-grade audio output.
Price$ 445.00 (AUD)
Adobe Audition 3.0 is a professional-grade digital audio-editing program, with tools that will be essential to recording and mastering engineers, musicians and even forensic scientists.
Adobe Audition 3.0 has now developed to the point it can be considered a full Digital Audio Workstation with a virtual studio mixing desk interface.
For effective but affordable digital audio editing in Windows, the first choice for many years used to be Cool Edit Pro from Syntrillium Software. Then the program was sold to Adobe in 2003, who renamed it Audition 1.0. Since then, Adobe has been steadily adding more features and refining the interface, so it now closely resembles the rest of its professional production applications, such as its video suite Adobe Premiere.
New in version 3.0 of Adobe Audition are virtual instrument integration (VSTi), a new multitrack interface and new effects and loops.
One of Adobe's major additions to the audio-only Cool Edit was video synchronisation. Even before Adobe relaunched Cool Edit as Audition, there was some multitrack capability for multichannel audio. This has been expanded further in Audition, so that it can take on surround-sound film soundtrack mix duties. And even without discrete surround feeds to work on, Audition can extract phase information from a stereo recording to derive a 5.1-channel mix.
Adobe Audition 3.0: graphical views
Besides the usual linear timeline view of audio waveforms, Adobe Audition 3.0 has several graphical views based on, for example, spectral frequency or spectral pan display. And they are more than just accelerated iTunes Visualiser-like effects, as they can be exploited for precise restoration work, using cut-and-paste and healing tools, not unlike those found in Adobe's graphical apps.
Among the plug-in effects included are noise-reduction facilities, but as always these must be used judiciously to avoid mechanical or watery sound mixes.
Where Cool Edit used to stand out from competing non-linear editing audio editors was in its high-quality sample-rate conversion and bit truncation capabilities. Sample-rate conversion is achieved with fill pre- and post-filtering in order to reduce unwanted aliasing distortion.
While not exactly intuitive to use - this is a pro app which assumes knowledege and experience of the tools of the trade - the interface of Audion 3.0 is relatively easy to navigate.
Preset workspaces go a long way to helping to present the tools and palettes relevant to the job in hand, whether capturing live audio, mixing, or mastering to CD.
Also beware of compatibility issues with Vista SP1 64-bit, which requires some additional patches to install.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 2 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 3 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 4 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Kogan Atlas UltraSlim Pro laptop: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Huawei P10 smartphone review
- Huawei P10 Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTJunior - Mid Level Technical Customer SupportQLD
- FTPractise Manager - SecurityVIC
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCEnd to End Project ManagerVIC
- FTIT Support EngineerNSW
- CCXML DeveloperVIC
- CCManaging Architect - Satellite - TelcoVIC
- TPUAT CoordinatorQLD
- TPAssistant Change Manager | System Implementation ProjectQLD
- FTBusiness Analyst - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCGraduate DeveloperQLD
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- FTOAM Specialist | 3-6mth ContractVIC
- CCData AnalystNSW
- TPTechnical ConsultantACT
- FTSolution Architect - SecurityVIC
- FTTechnical WriterACT
- CCSQL Analyst DeveloperNSW
- FTEnterprise Architect - Network and TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerQLD
- FTTechnical WriterNSW