Adobe Systems Audition 3.0
Adobe Audition 3.0 is a professional-grade digital audio-editing program.
- Top-notch audio editing
- Not cheap, compatibility issues with Vista SP1 64-bit
Adobe Audition 3.0 may not be the cheapest but it remains a top-notch audio editing program. More than just a MIDI controller and audio program, it lets you graphically and colourfully see deep inside the inner workings of music and audio samples, while helping create pro-grade audio output.
Price$ 445.00 (AUD)
Adobe Audition 3.0 is a professional-grade digital audio-editing program, with tools that will be essential to recording and mastering engineers, musicians and even forensic scientists.
Adobe Audition 3.0 has now developed to the point it can be considered a full Digital Audio Workstation with a virtual studio mixing desk interface.
For effective but affordable digital audio editing in Windows, the first choice for many years used to be Cool Edit Pro from Syntrillium Software. Then the program was sold to Adobe in 2003, who renamed it Audition 1.0. Since then, Adobe has been steadily adding more features and refining the interface, so it now closely resembles the rest of its professional production applications, such as its video suite Adobe Premiere.
New in version 3.0 of Adobe Audition are virtual instrument integration (VSTi), a new multitrack interface and new effects and loops.
One of Adobe's major additions to the audio-only Cool Edit was video synchronisation. Even before Adobe relaunched Cool Edit as Audition, there was some multitrack capability for multichannel audio. This has been expanded further in Audition, so that it can take on surround-sound film soundtrack mix duties. And even without discrete surround feeds to work on, Audition can extract phase information from a stereo recording to derive a 5.1-channel mix.
Adobe Audition 3.0: graphical views
Besides the usual linear timeline view of audio waveforms, Adobe Audition 3.0 has several graphical views based on, for example, spectral frequency or spectral pan display. And they are more than just accelerated iTunes Visualiser-like effects, as they can be exploited for precise restoration work, using cut-and-paste and healing tools, not unlike those found in Adobe's graphical apps.
Among the plug-in effects included are noise-reduction facilities, but as always these must be used judiciously to avoid mechanical or watery sound mixes.
Where Cool Edit used to stand out from competing non-linear editing audio editors was in its high-quality sample-rate conversion and bit truncation capabilities. Sample-rate conversion is achieved with fill pre- and post-filtering in order to reduce unwanted aliasing distortion.
While not exactly intuitive to use - this is a pro app which assumes knowledege and experience of the tools of the trade - the interface of Audion 3.0 is relatively easy to navigate.
Preset workspaces go a long way to helping to present the tools and palettes relevant to the job in hand, whether capturing live audio, mixing, or mastering to CD.
Also beware of compatibility issues with Vista SP1 64-bit, which requires some additional patches to install.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 4 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- Sonos say Aussie Alexa support for One smart speaker won't arrive until Autumn 2018
- Transport for NSW boosts digital experience with Amazon Alexa
- Irdeto Acquires Denuvo
- Amazon Alexa and Echo set for Febuary launch
- Officeworks hops on voice interface bandwagon with Google Assistant integration
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- MWC 2018: Everything You Need To Know
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPBusiness Process Improvement AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Developer - API: C# .Net Developer | FinTech | APIOther
- FTApplication Support Analyst- SMSF AdministratorOther
- TPWindows 10 Deployment EngineerQLD
- FTApplication Support Analyst - SydneyOther
- FTUnified Endpoint Management Systems AnalystOther
- TPProcurement ManagerACT
- FTMultiple Angular ExpertACT
- TPEnterprise Architect | QLD Health | $1173/day | BrisbaneNSW
- CCOracle Service Bus DeveloperNSW
- TPChange ManagerQLD
- CCIT Security AnalystACT
- FTOracle Developer - EBSOther
- TPService Desk AnalystVIC
- FTSAP HCM Functional Analyst, Organisation StructureOther
- CCProject AnalystVIC
- TPProject Manager - ICT Infrastructure - SecurityQLD
- TPMicrosoft Dynamics DeveloperQLD
- CCProject ManagerWA
- TPDigital Project ManagerNSW
- FTProduct Lead - DatabaseOther
- FTSolution ArchitectOther
- CCFront-end DeveloperNSW
- CCChange and Communication SpecialistWA
- FTProgram ManagerOther