Activision Soldier of Fortune: Payback
- Decent enough graphics, some missions are mildly engrossing.
- Slow down and pop-ups galore, a generally unpolished gaming experience
In the end, Payback is a decent enough game that won't leave much of a lasting impression. It's good if you just want some mindless fun but don't go in expecting anything more because the only payback you'll get is a shot in the foot.
Price$ 79.95 (AUD)
2007 has been a banner year for console gamers. As I type this, there are a lot of triple-A titles sitting on store shelves. The bar has been set incredibly high and mediocre titles look that much worse in comparison.
This is definitely the case with Soldier of Fortune: Payback. Had the title been released during a slow year, it may have caught a brief moment in the spotlight, but as it stands, the game doesn't do anything interesting or memorable aside from treating your eyes to some mindless violence.
One probable reason Payback is so poor might lay in the fact that Raven Software, which handled the previous versions, wasn't involved. The game definitely lacks the usual polish that gamers have come to expect from the veteran development house; Payback is riddled with awful textures that seem to appear out of nowhere. While the graphics are decent, the framerate chokes along at points, which kills most of the fun.
The game will please gore-addicts, as you can perform some brutal amputations and cause great bodily harm to your foes but it gets boring after a while and bodies always evaporate into thin air upon death, which cuts down on the realism.
There really is nothing compelling about Payback. The single-player campaign, which can be completed in a handful of hours, is nothing memorable and the story abounds with cliches; if you've played Call of Duty 4 or Bioshock, you'll find yourself unimpressed by what Payback has to offer. There is hope for the game's multiplayer, where the hyper-gruesome battles might translate into an interesting experience but overall, the game is rather mediocre.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- MSI GE73 7RF VR Raider Gaming Laptop: Full, in-depth review
- Sony ghillie up with new Call of Duty bundle
- HyperX Reveals Next Generation Cloud Alpha Gaming Headset
- Acer expands gaming notebook lineup with Predator Helios 300
- Razer unveil new Basilisk mouse built for FPS gaming
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- MSI GE73 VR Raider Gaming Laptop review
- First Look: Nikon D850
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTBusiness Development ManagerQLD
- FTProject Deployment EngineerQLD
- FTService Desk AnalystVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - 3 Days/WeekOther
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- CCBusiness Operations Engineer (ICT and Finance)QLD
- FTCyber Security Project ManagerOther
- CCSenior DBA - OracleNSW
- FTPolicy OfficerOther
- FTProgram ManagerNSW
- FTJAVA DeveloperOther
- FTScrum MasterOther
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCOrganisational Change & Deployment SpecialistVIC
- FTSAP ISU Device management-FunctionalVIC
- FTSystems and Database AdministratorACT
- TPDatabase & GIS ManagerVIC
- FTSystem AdministratorACT
- CCSalesforce DeveloperNSW
- CCFull-Stack AWS Python DeveloperWA
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCDynamics CRM Business AnalystNSW
- CCTechnologyOne Systems AdministratorNSW
- CCSenior Analyst ProgrammerNSW