Skylanders Trap Team (PlayStation 4)
Popular kids property taps into the dark side.
- Fun and accessible gameplay.
- Skystones card game returns.
- A bit too easy to level up.
- Nothing new for old characters.
From siding with villains to playing with cards, fans of Skylanders will find much to like in Trap Team.
Price$ 79.00 (AUD)
Skylanders is a unique series that mixes video games with real-life plastic figurines. The way the two are linked is through a Portal of Power device that imports the figurine into the game world. Past games have let you play as the heroes, though Trap Team mixes it up by letting you play as the villains.
Relying on the bad guys
The video game portion of Skylanders Trap Team is an action platformer where you put your imported character through their paces. The six new characters in Trap Team are as memorable as ever, and the game does a good job of representing the included figurines, which are of high quality and detail. There is also the existing cast of over 40 villains to play with.
The aim of the game is to progress through the single player campaign and collect treasure to gain character upgrades. Team members can be called on to use their support abilities, and even the villains will lend a helping hand if requested. In single player mode you swap between characters to activate their abilities, while in co-op another person can help out.
The Skystones collectible card game that was left out of last year’s Swap Force has been reintroduced to Trap Team. The surprisingly deep card game forces you to think about attack and defence point when putting together strategies. It was one of the more memorable diversions in 2012’s Giants, so it is good to see it make a return.
Enough booty for all
Skylanders is mainly geared at a younger audience, so the game never gets too challenging and there is plenty of treasure to collect. This means the new characters can have their statistics maxed out without too much effort, to the point where there is no reason to collect any more loot. Trap Team could have been an opportunity to add new abilities to existing characters to use the treasure on, but there is no such option.
One thing that has improved with treasure hunting is how it is handled in co-op. In the past the player collected the loot individually, which led to both players competing against each other. Now the treasure is shared so players of different levels can get a fair distribution of treasure.
By expanding the cast of characters to include villains and introduce tweaks all round, Trap Team is a significant step up from Swap Force and Giants. The game also benefits from an overall boost in graphics thanks to the new generation of console hardware. The game does not add much for existing characters, but it does give you more opportunities to collect treasure than before.
Join the newsletter!
cloudandco Smart Cane
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
Apple iPhone X
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Toys for Boys
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Bose SoundLink Micro
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Xbox One X
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Acer attempts to woo Australian gamers with reveal of its new Predator range
- Nintendo Switch software update: What does 4.0.0 feature and how to install it?
- Robot House announce vacuum-bot adventure game ahead of PAX Australia
- Wargaming launches ANZ servers for World of Tanks
- VR fairytale game Luna due for Oct 17 release
PCW Evaluation Team
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Get set for Amazon Australia Black Friday launch
- Destiny 2 PC review: A port worthy of PC gaming's mightiest rigs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTTechnical Services AdministratorVIC
- FTService Desk Consultant - Part TimeOther
- FTSplunk Engineer - starting next yearACT
- FTHadoop DeveloperWA
- FTICT Cloud Transformation Program Coordinator - SAPOther
- CCRecords AnalystNSW
- FTPermanent: Senior Infrastructure Technical Consultant - Cloud - MicrosoftVIC
- FTAutomation Framework DeveloperVIC
- FTMid-Senior PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTGraduate C# DeveloperNSW
- TPPrincipal Data AnalystQLD
- CCNetwork ArchitectVIC
- FTLead Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Telecommunications RiggerSA
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTAccount Commercial and Contract Manager (ANZ)VIC
- FTSQL DeveloperACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Telco - Melbourne CBDVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTTechnical Test AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Banking , Finance backgroundOther
- FTSenior Data Centre OperatorOther
- FTCyber Security Program ManagerACT
- CCLevel 1 Service deskNSW