Activision Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
- Graphics are outstanding. Visually one of the best Xbox 360 games around. Single-player campaign is deep and satisfying. Concerns about the mode's length are assuaged by its overall quality. Multiplayer component offers a wealth of features. It should prove to be outstanding once the servers become fully populated. The move to a modernised setting makes the franchise relevant again.
- We couldn't find anything. Seriously, we tried to find something wrong with this game but we couldn't. But if we do, we'll let you know.
We seriously cannot think of a single flaw in CoD4, and trust us, we looked for them. From the amazing graphics to the intense and compelling single-player campaign to the feature loaded and addictive multiplayer, this game has it all. The holiday season will be jammed pack with quality triple-A titles but this is one title we personally recommend you put at the top of your wishlist.
Price$ 109.95 (AUD)
Way of the gun
You start the second episode out in the shoes of Al-Fulani, a presidential leader in the Middle East. This entire level plays out from his viewpoint, which adds a frightening level of realism to the proceeding events. Al-Fulani is kidnapped and manhandled into the backseat of a beat up car. The driver and the passenger never utter a word as they steer the car through the treacherous streets. Out the car window, Al-Fulani can see clear evidence of the violence, looting, and murder that is poisoning the city.
The car pulls into a courtyard, and Al-Fulani is dragged from the backseat to a bloody wooden post in the middle of the square. One man speaks into a camera. He makes it very clear that his name is Khaled Al-Asad and "This is how it all begins". Through the eyes of Al-Fulani, you watch as Al-Asad raises a gun to your face; a gunshot rings out and the screen quickly fades to black.
Because of CoD4's near-photorealistic visuals, moments such as this are almost too real and painful to bear but it again reinforces Infinity Ward's ability to expertly engage both the body and the mind.
Trick or treat
And yet, as compelling as the single-player mode is, it's just the tip of the iceberg. When you complete the campaign mode, Arcade Mode and Cheats become unlocked. Arcade Mode is a fun high-score romp through any level in the single-player campaign, and adds more replayability to the game. High scores are uploaded to leaderboards so you can compete with other CoD4 players.
The cheats are both practical and hilarious. The impractical, such as visual filters, change the look of the game, while others enable more practical things like slow motion gameplay. The best cheat, however, is Ragtime Warfare, which turns the entire game into a Charlie Chaplin film with sped up gameplay, old-school Western piano, and a choppy, sepia film effect. You'll laugh every time you see it.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Dynabook Portégé X30W-J – a very good all-rounder
- 2 Google Pixel 5 Review: Soft Reboot
- 3 Sonos Arc review: The Main Event
- 4 Samsung Galaxy Z Flip review: Killer form-factor, lethal price-tag
- 5 Oppo A5Xs review: Cutting corners
Latest News Articles
- Survey: Social distancing creates 762,000 new Australian gamers
- APC targets console and PC gamers with its Back-UPS Pro Gaming uninterruptible power supply
- Nintendo discontinues the 3DS, marking the end of the DS era
- Australia to miss out on Samsung's Xbox partnership
- Razer revive Blackshark esports headset
PCW Evaluation Team
Ultimately this laptop has achieved everything I would hope for in a laptop for work, while fitting that into a form factor and weight that is remarkable.
This smart laptop was enjoyable to use and great to work on – creating content was super simple.
It really doesn’t get more “gaming laptop” than this.
As the Maserati or BMW of laptops, it would fit perfectly in the hands of a professional needing firepower under the hood, sophistication and class on the surface, and gaming prowess (sports mode if you will) in between.
The MSI PS63 is an amazing laptop and I would definitely consider buying one in the future.
This small mobile printer is exactly what I need for invoicing and other jobs such as sending fellow tradesman details or step-by-step instructions that I can easily print off from my phone or the Web.
- Sonos Arc review: The Main Event
- Google Pixel 5 Review: Soft Reboot
- How the Xbox Series X (and xCloud) saved me from buying a gaming PC
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies