Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0
Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 is a partition manager that can also run Windows' defragmentation and check disk utilities
- Nothing particularly wrong with it
- Forced reboot after install, tedious to use
There's nothing wrong with Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 — it's just a lot like driving a 20-year-old car. You can get where you want to go, but it feels as if there must be a better way.
Price$ 89.99 (AUD)
Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 is a partition manager that can also run Windows' defragmentation and check disk utilities.
Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 uses the same basic interface as Windows' disk software management routines. In fact, its data integrity checking and disk defragmentation tools are the Windows CHKDSK and Defrag utilities - only they run under Disk Director Suite.
There is a robust menu of icons arrayed across the top of the windows representing the available tasks. Duplicating that array is a text list of tasks along the left side of the window. Right-clicking on any of the drive representations also brings up a menu of similar tasks.
The process of installing Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 is unremarkable until you've just about reached the end, when a small box pops up telling you that the software is analyzing your hard disk partitions.
It's not a big deal if you're working off a single-drive system, but the more drives you have, and the larger their capacity, the longer this initial process will take. We had five drives installed - four of them 1TB and one of them 2TB - and itstill took only about two minutes, although it seemed longer.
Once it finished its analysis, Acronis Disk Director Suite said it needed to restart my computer. No fireworks, no brass band, no waving flags, just the computer equivalent of, "That's All, Folks!" There was no choice. And when we started Disk Director after the reboot, it again analyzed all our hard drives. In fact, any time you start a task that requires modifying or copying a partition, Disk Director will start this tiresome routine.
You can duplicate disks or partitions; you can also resize and merge partitions. We ran into a problem with a resize when Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 asked us what, if any, data from the original (full-sized) partition we wanted to place on the new partition.
There was no reason for the question, since we had only requested a resize. During the process, Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 showed a few write errors and finally aborted. When we went back and specified that no data be transferred, it completed the task without a problem.
When we tried to merge two partitions, Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 asked us to specify or create a folder to hold whatever data it found on the partition that was being merged. The process completed without a hiccup, although we would have preferred it if Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 had just merged the data on its own, querying us if it found a problem that needed resolution. It's not a big deal, just another small bit of tediousness.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft shows the power of its Pen with a new Whiteboard app and other upgrades
- Windows 10 S will not run Linux, even though it's a downloadable Windows app
- The Windows 10 Game Bar: What PC gamers need to know
- Microsoft redesigns OneNote UI to make it more universally accessible
- Windows 10 Insider build 16199 fills some holes in the Creators Update
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- FTHCM Project Manager & Service Implementation Manager - SAP HRNSW
- FTDatacentre Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCData ArchitectACT
- FTManager - Commercial ClientsACT
- CCSenior Network Architect - CCIEVIC
- TPFront End .NET DeveloperQLD
- FTWeb Developer - VR 3D WebGL - Lake MacquarieNSW
- FTIntegration EngineerACT
- FTManager, DevOpsQLD
- CCImplementation Manager/PlannerVIC
- FTSenior SharePoint Administrator. Location -ACTACT
- FTSecurity ConsultantVIC
- FTIT Systems EngineerTAS
- TPICT Customer Support Officer - MurwillumbahNSW
- FTProduct Manager (IT Clinical Systems) - Permanent - Syd, Melb or BrisbNSW
- FTSenior System EngineerNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst - Change and Process ImprovementQLD
- FTDeputy Chief Engineer - Defence Systems - IT Services - Nowra BasedNSW
- CCCloud Architect - AzureVIC
- FTInformation Security ArchitectQLD
- TPSolution Architect - InfrastructureQLD
- CCFront End DeveloperQLD
- FTApplication Support EngineerNSW