A large (but quiet) portable projector, with good image quality
- Good image quality and connectivity, bundled laser pointer, quiet operation
- Heavy and large for a portable model
Acer's P1265 is large and heavy when compared to other portable models, but has impressive brightness and image quality.
Price$ 1,799.00 (AUD)
The P1265 from Acer is marketed as a portable projector, but it's definitely on the larger side of portable: It weighs 3kg and is 30cm wide. It has very good image quality for a portable projector, with a high native resolution and great colour reproduction.
It has a surprisingly elegant look, with rounded corners and a simple piano black finish. Its height is manually adjustable using the front foot; the rear rubber feet unscrew to allow for horizontal picture adjustment. The unit has plenty of standard connectors at the rear including a VGA input (which includes a passthrough for connection to another monitor or projector), as well as DVI in, composite and S-Video. External control ports are offered through USB and RS-232. A small mono speaker is built in to the unit, and with two Watts of power is passable for a business presentation in a quiet boardroom.
One shortcoming of the P1265 is its control panel. Instead of taking advantage of a wider area on the top of the body, all the keys are jammed into a small corner, making them difficult to access in a dark room. The remote has plenty of functionality though, with properly sized keys and a built in laser pointer.
Because the projector is not crammed into a tiny case, there's significant room for airflow, leading to less operating noise. Acer says that the P1265 runs at 28dBA in standard mode, and slightly quieter when run in economy.
In standard mode, brightness is rated at 2400 ANSI lumens. Usually DLP (digital light processing) business projectors sacrifice image quality for maximum brightness, but this is not the case with the P1265. When changing to the standardised sRGB mode this model maintains much of its brightness, easily edging out competing portable projectors. Acer has included a feature called ColourBoost in the P1265, which means a wider gamut of colours can be accurately displayed.
When we ran a series of image tests on the P1265 it performed well throughout. Colour reproduction is predictably poor when in presentation mode, though switching to sRGB improved this immensely. When properly set up using the manual focus and zoom, the picture is crisp from across a large room. From left to right across the screen there was a slight variation in the clarity of 12pt text, but this wouldn't be an issue in any presentation situation where text was larger. Simple lines and graphs were rendered accurately.
The projector's native resolution 1024x768pixels, the standard commonly seen in current multimedia projector models. However, the projector is able to downscale inputs as high as 1920x1080 without any problems or noticeable aliasing. The on-screen menu is easy to navigate, with options for setting three picture modes as well as specific colour manipulation. Vertical keystone correction is also included, and is handled automatically although a manual override is possible.
Another feature that the P1265 boasts over other portable projectors is its ability to be quickly shut down, which is again made possible by the larger form factor. Often projectors take several minutes to cool off and fully power down; that isn't the case here. Once the lamp is shut down, the projector powers down without any delay. This could be useful for a situation in which a quick departure after a presentation is necessary.
If you have an image-heavy presentation that needs good colour reproduction or want to watch movies from your PC then the P1265 is a compelling choice.
Join the newsletter!
cloudandco Smart Cane
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Apple iPhone X
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Toys for Boys
Bose SoundLink Micro
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Xbox One X
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- BenQ Debuts True 4K UHD HDR Home Cinema Projector Designed for Modern Families
- Sony's Android-powered Xperia projector turns any flat surface into a touch screen
- Sony’s new liquid-cooled 4K home video projector delivers 5000 lumens of brightness, costs $60,000
- BenQ targets Epson with revamped home entertainment projectors
- LG's new Laser Display gives you 100in of full HD glory
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPWeb Communications OfficerACT
- TPProject CoordinatorACT
- FTApplication Support AnalystOther
- FTInfrastructure Solutions Architect - Converged InfrastructureOther
- CCReact.js DeveloperQLD
- FTOperational Systems Specialist - DevOpsOther
- CCBusiness Intelligence Analysts (SAS, SAP UI5, or SQL) - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTLevel 2 Support Engineer | 12mth FTCOther
- FT.Net DeveloperACT
- CCAutomation Anywhere developerQLD
- FTTechnical Lead - Mobile / Cordova / .NetNSW
- FTFinancial AdministratorOther
- FTSAP SD/EDI Support ConsultantOther
- FTSenior Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTSenior .NET Developer - Back EndOther
- FTGraduate C# DeveloperNSW
- FTPronto Systems / Reporting AnalystVIC
- CCTechnical Specialist - Government OrganisationVIC
- FTCyber Security EngineerOther
- FTGateway Architect - perm / contractACT
- FTSenior Data Warehouse Developer, Power BIOther
- CCBusiness Systems Analyst (Expression of Interest)QLD
- FTSenior Agile Business AnalystOther
- FTBroker Support/ Applications SupportOther
- FTField Services TechnicianACT