Acer K10 portable projector
Gadget geeks will love Acer's tiny K10 projector
- Very portable, reasonable contrast levels, lamp replacement unlikely to be necessary
- Heavy power brick, low brightness, loss of contrast at 'high' brightness
Acer's K10 portable projector is LED-based, with low power consumption and a long lamp life. It's small and convenient, and we are looking forward to the technology behind it improving.
Price$ 1,099.00 (AUD)
The Acer K10 is an LED-based portable projector. With 100 ANSI lumens and a 1000:1 contrast ratio, it has the specifications to get by in dim lighting, but in daylight it will struggle.
The Acer K10 is a similar size to the BenQ Joybee GP1 and it projects an 858x600 SVGA image. Any recent PC will be able to output this resolution without any hassles; our Dell Inspiron Mini 9 running Windows 7 automatically selected the correct resolution when we connected it. The Acer K10 portable projector has a more professional look than the Joybee GP1. Its a slick black finish makes the K10 a good match for a notebook like the Lenovo Ideapad S10-2.
The Acer K10 is very simple, with a VGA port for hooking up computers and analog video devices and a composite video port. The only other port is for the DC power input. The power brick connecting to this projector is a little large and bulky for our liking, weighing more than the projector itself.
The Acer K10 boasts a 100 ANSI lumen brightness count. If you're in a dim room this is enough to get by, but in daylight or a regular office environment the low brightness level makes viewing images difficult. We're keen to see more powerful projectors in the future that are similar to the K10 but address what is currently a crippling flaw.
If you are in ideal conditions, the Acer K10 has reasonable image quality. With a projection distance of 0.6-2.4m it can throw a projected image size of 38cm to 152cm; a manual focus adjustment allows near-enough focus but lacks the accuracy of an electronic adjustment system. In a dark room the 1000:1 contrast ratio allows acceptable levels of detail to be seen in dark or bright areas of an image. We would be happy watching a movie on the Acer K10 if lighting conditions were spot-on.
Colour accuracy isn't fantastic, but this is true of most cheap DLP projectors. One thing to note is that image quality and contrast drop off significantly at higher brightness levels — after around half-way on the brightness slider we noticed that colours washed out and lost their vibrancy.
The Acer K10 portable projector has a lamp life of 20000 hours thanks to its LED lighting. This means you probably won't ever have to change the lamp during the projector's serviceable life — if it's being used by a traveller we'd expect it to fall apart before the lamp wears out. Fan noise is acceptable, but louder than we would have liked (a product of packing a bright lamp into a super-compact body).
Acer's K10 portable LED projector is an interesting product. It's small and in the right conditions it provides a serviceable picture. It's by no means perfect, but will appeal to early adopters, travellers and gadget geeks.
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @Goodgearguide
Join the newsletter!
Featuring a high capacity ink tank system, that completely removes the need for cartridges - it comes with up to 2 years of ink in the box
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S9+ review: A predictably-exellent flagship uplifted by a standout camera
- 2 Panasonic Lumix G9 review: A mirrorless moulded to the needs of still-shooters
- 3 LG 65E7T Ultra HD OLED TV review: The South Korean thoroughbred is still first past the post
- 4 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 5 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
Latest News Articles
- HP Omen laptops include a first: Nvidia Max-Q graphics technology
- HP's Omen X Compact Desktop can morph into a backpack VR PC
- HP's Omen Accelerator can give your laptop some guts
- HP reboots Omen desktop with more of what gamers love
- Samsung to detail new Tizen OS for smart home appliances, IoT devices
PCW Evaluation Team
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
- Everything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Comparing The Google Home’s Assistant To Amazon Echo’s Alexa
- Hands On: Pitting the Apple HomePod against the Sonos One
- MWC 2018: Everything You Need To Know
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- TPUX UI DesignerNSW
- CCProject Manager - Finance TransformationNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPEnterprise Architect | QLD Health | $1173/day | BrisbaneNSW
- FTSolution ArchitectOther
- FTSenior Change ManagerACT
- TPPurchasing Officer - SAPWA
- FTGRC and Security Project ManagerOther
- CCDevops EngineerQLD
- CCDevops EngineerQLD
- FTSAP Test AnalystsACT
- FTReporting Business Analyst - $62 phOther
- FTDesktop Support Engineer - OnsiteOther
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTSenior Android DeveloperOther
- FTUX/UI DesignerQLD
- TPIntegration SpecialistQLD
- TPSenior Java Developer / IntegratorQLD
- FTMultiple Angular ExpertACT
- TPPrincipal SAP ABAP DeveloperQLD
- CCPlatform ArchitectVIC
- FTIAM DevOps EngineerOther
- FTHR Business PartnerOther
- FTLead Consultant AIXOther