Acer Aspire 9305WSMi
- Battery Life
It may not be a powerful performer but it does the basics.
Price$ 2,499.00 (AUD)
The Acer Aspire 9305WSMi delivers plenty of usability, if not speed, for a budget desktop replacement. Equipped with a 1.6-GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-50 processor and only 1GB of memory, it's a bit slow, but it provides plenty of performance for Web surfers and word processors looking for a big screen, a full-size keyboard, and lots of file storage at a reasonable price. At 3.5 hours, its battery life is surprisingly good, too.
The Aspire 9305WSMi is solid, middle of the road in size and weight, and has a 17-inch WXGA+ CrystalBrite screen, which is crisp and reasonably bright, but not too glossy. Its 1400x900 resolution displays icons at a size big enough to see without squinting, yet it offers users enough space to work comfortably in multiple windows open. To serve that purpose even better, Acer bundles its GridVista automatic window-sizing utility.
The sturdy, sensibly arranged keyboard includes a numerical keypad. Better yet, the large, dark touchpad and mouse buttons integrate a four-way rocker button that scrolls Web and application pages both vertically and horizontally. You can program four shortcut buttons at the top of the keyboard to jump to your favourite Web sites or applications; two buttons located down the left side conveniently toggle Wi-Fi and Bluetooth wireless activity on and off, though you have to provide the Bluetooth Express Card yourself -- neither a mini-card nor an antenna comes built in.
The first thing you notice when you open the notebook is its integrated Webcam, centre-mounted in a big silver frame in the lid. The Webcam can rotate 225 degrees to shoot both in front of and behind the screen. Connections include four USB ports, an SD slot, a PC Card slot, and even a front-mounted S/PDIF port for accommodating the latest external speakers. The hard drive has a generous 120GB capacity.
The Aspire 9305WSMi's sound and speed left us wishing for more, though. The speakers, partially exposed in the palm rest when the lid is closed, deliver mediocre output.
The notebook earned a WorldBench 6 score of 48, at least 40 percent behind recent top performing notebooks on business applications. Nevertheless, it played DVD movies smoothly -- and can burn discs in its dual-layer DVD writer slowly but surely. The 3D games in our tests were unplayable, however -- jerking or stopping dead in their tracks.
On the positive side, the Acer's powerful 4800-milliamp battery lasted 3.5 hours, far above average for a desktop replacement's battery life.
When you factor in the cost of another 1GB of RAM to goose the system's speed, and of even a basic set of productivity apps such as Microsoft Works 8.5, it becomes clear that the 9305WSMi isn't quite worth the dollar value after all. But if you can live without some or all of these options, it's a very good deal.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 3 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 4 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 5 Moto G5 Plus phone: full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Hands-on: How the Asus ROG GX501 Zephyrus performs with Nvidia's Max-Q technology
- HP Omen laptops include a first: Nvidia Max-Q graphics technology
- HP's Omen Accelerator can give your laptop some guts
- HP's Omen X Compact Desktop can morph into a backpack VR PC
- Why Microsoft's ARM-based Windows 10 laptops still have a lot to prove
PCW Evaluation Team
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
Wireless printing from my iPhone was also a handy feature, the whole experience was quick and seamless with no setup requirements - accessed through the default iOS printing menu options.
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
- Ring Video Doorbell review
- Alcatel A3 XL phone: Full, in-depth review
- Sony X9300E 2017 TV: Full, in-depth review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCWintel Migration ArchitectNSW
- FTMid-Level Business AnalystOther
- FTSoftware Licensing and Contract AnalystOther
- FTService Desk AnalystACT
- FTICT TrainerOther
- FTProject CoordinatorOther
- FTFull Stack .Net DeveloperWA
- FTLAMP Stack Developer/ PHP DeveloperOther
- TPGIS ConsultantVIC
- FTJunior Java developer. Work Location - CanberraACT
- CCPMO AdministratorVIC
- CCMultiple Project Managers - Networks - TelcoVIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTBig Data ArchitectOther
- TPEnterprise Solutions ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior DevOps Consultant, Financial ServicesNSW
- FTSystem Specialist - Network SystemsOther
- FTMarketing Content Writer - Tenders & SocialNSW
- FTIT PMO OfficerOther
- FTSenior Microsoft SQL Designer/ArchitectOther
- FTPHP DeveloperQLD
- FTEnterprise Architect - Network and TelecommunicationsOther
- FTITIL Change Management SpecialistOther
- FTIT Program SchedulerOther
- FTTelecom RiggerOther