"If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63."
Abit Computer Fatal1ty AA8XE motherboard
- Easy installation, Superior heat resistance, No evidence of instability
- None to speak of.
This board should capture the imagination of the gaming market, thanks to its cooling innovations, fast specs and red-illuminated edges.
Price$ 420.00 (AUD)
This motherboard squarely targets gamers who want to build a powerful and intimidating rig.
It uses the 925XE chipset from Intel, which means it will accommodate Pentium 4 processors that have a 1066MHz frontside bus, DDR2 memory modules, PCI Express graphics, up to four SATA hard drives and dual network connections. It has all the peripheral connectivity you would expect of a board in this class, although only one parallel ATA port is provided.
The focus of the AA8XE is robustness. ABIT claims that each board is put through the wringer to ensure rock-solid stability (something we can attest to having witnessed first-hand in the component temperature testing rooms at ABIT's development headquarters). It's apparent that this board has undergone extensive engineering to combat heat issues, and this manifests primarily around the CPU, where dual extraction fans, heat sinks and a fan-shroud have been used to cool the MOSFETs (metal-oxide semiconductor field effect transistors). According to ABIT's research, these transistors become among the hottest running components during strenuous periods of system use.
In addition, ABIT has strategically placed copper strips underneath the CPU area to draw heat away from the circuit board itself, and a rigid fan assembly has been created to cool the memory modules. All fans are controlled by the mGuru utility, which also monitors system temperatures.
Installation was a breeze, although we did have to remove the fan shroud to gain access to the mounting hole in the top-left corner of the board.
We then tested this board for a full work day with strenuous 2D and 3D workloads and, as hoped, found no evidence of instability or heat-related issues.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Nokia 6 (2018) review: Simple. Solid. Supreme.
- 2 Samsung Q9F Series QLED: Peak performance from a home entertainment heavyweight
- 3 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- Computex 2018: G.Skill draw eyes with new 'Crystal-RGB' RAM and new gaming gear
- Computex 2018: CoolerMaster have new a mouse that can count your kills
- Computex 2018: HyperX add RGB to Alloy FPS Pro keyboard and Pulsefire Pro gaming mouse
- Computex 2018: Roccat put their Titan switches to the test with new Vulcan keyboard
- Computex 2018: AMD reveal 32-core Threadripper 2
PCW Evaluation Team
If you’re looking to invest in your next work horse laptop for work or home use, you can’t go wrong with the MSI GE63.
If you can afford the price tag, it is well worth the money. It out performs any other laptop I have tried for gaming, and the transportable design and incredible display also make it ideal for work.
Touch screen visibility and operation was great and easy to navigate. Each menu and sub-menu was in an understandable order and category
The printer was convenient, produced clear and vibrant images and was very easy to use
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
- Computex 2018: Everything you missed at Asia's biggest tech tradeshow
- Computex 2018: Nvidia launches new AI-focused hardware and software platforms
- Huawei P20 Pro review: See it and believe the hype
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies