Abit Computer A8N
- Easy to install, stable
- Difficult to access floppy controller.
All things considered, we really liked this board's ease of installation, stability and performance and have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone who wants a well-performing Athlon system, but doesn't need the plethora of features that ASUS and MSI offer.
Price$ 198.00 (AUD)
This Nvidia nForce4 board was easy to install and very stable during our tests. Indeed, we had no trouble at all installing Windows XP on our RAID 0 array using the supplied floppy diskette, and the board ran our dual-core processor without any fuss.
As it's not based on the nForce4 SLI chipset, it has a single PCIe slot, which is located just below the fan-cooled nForce chipset. Immediately to the right of this slot are the SATA ports, and immediately below the SATA ports are the pin-headers for the additional USB 2.0 ports. This area may get crammed if you use a large graphics card. Another layout quirk is the placement of the floppy controller on the bottom edge of the motherboard just under a PCI slot. This makes it difficult to access, especially once the board is attached to the chassis.
ABIT's use of its OTES (outside thermal exhaust system) cooling system is in full effect on this board, with fans located in the rear port cluster in place of audio ports and serial and parallel ports. The rear cluster does retain a FireWire port as well as PS/2, Ethernet and USB 2.0 ports, but the audio ports need to be connected to a special slot through the supplied audio expansion bracket. Because the OTES cooling system sits on the top corner of the board, you would have to remove its shrouding in order to access the screw-hole when mounting it to your chassis.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Logitech Unveils MX ERGO, their first trackball in nearly a decade
- Nvidia unveils Pegasus, an AI computer that can power fully autonomous vehicles
- MSI's new Ryzen-ready motherboard coming to Oz
- Seagate Expands Portfolio with 12TB Drives for NAS and Desktop Computing
- Intel's 8th Gen Desktop Processors Go On Sale Today
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Apple TV 4K review
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCPortfolio Manager - GovernanceVIC
- CCChange ManagerQLD
- CCProject SchedulerACT
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)Other
- FTField EngineerVIC
- FTSenior NodeJS DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Full Stack .NET DeveloperNSW
- CCAutomation Test AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Solution ArchitectOther
- CCScrum MasterQLD
- FTSolution Architect - API / SaaSOther
- FTJunior Account Manager - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- CCSenior Process SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Project CoordinatorOther
- CC.Net DeveloperWA
- TPService Desk AnalystVIC
- CCIT Specialist - System ServicesNSW
- FTDelphi DeveloperOther
- TPDigital StategistACT
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)SA
- FTSenior Business Analyst - WealthOther
- FTSenior Project Manager, Facilities & Asset ManagementOther
- TPAutomation EngineerQLD
- FTSolution ArchitectOther