Ability Software Ability Office Business 5.0
Lightweight office suite
- Light footprint, photo and vector image editing, familiar interface, good export options
- Presentations doesn't have all the features of PowerPoint, not much documentation in the box
Ability Office Business version 5.0 falls between unpolished free gems such as OpenOffice and Google Docs, and the ultra-expensive, feature intensive Microsoft Office 2007. But unlike free rivals, Ability is feature-rich and familiar to MS Office users. It will make a welcome, inexpensive and useful addition to almost every office workstation.
Ability Office Business is not so much an alternative to Microsoft Office as an homage. An inexpensive option which closely resembles the original. Ability Office has now matured to version 5.0, and the new editions are compatible with Vista, but at only 100MB leave a relatively light footprint.
This is impressive, because Ability Office is stuffed full of features, comprising Word-clone Write, the self-explanatory Spreadsheet and Database apps, as well as the PowerPoint-like 'Presentation' and a media-management tool called Photoalbum.
Ability Office Business also bundles a vector-artwork program — Draw — and an image-editing app that enjoys layer support and more than 90 image-enhancing filters. Photopaint is no Photoshop, but it makes simple photo fixes such as eliminating red-eye a cinch and will suffice for all but the most demanding of users. And this you don't get with other productivity suites.
Open Write and you enter a word-processing world that's eerily familiar. Compatible with Word, Write looks similar to its Microsoft big brother. Frames and tables are handled with aplomb, and there's all the functionality you would expect: auto correct, spelling and grammar checking, and so on. Crucially, you can export to PDF and even Microsoft's XML paper specification (XPS).
Write saves documents in Ability's native AWW format, as well as a plethora of options including Microsoft Word (97/2000/XP), text files, rich text format and HTML.
The Ability Write interface presents formatting and output options in much the same, simple way as pre-ribbon MS Office, so experienced Microsoft users will have no problem finding their way about. This is a theme that's repeated throughout Ability Office Business, which takes care of ease-of-use at a stroke.
Ability Spreadsheet, for example, will look familiar to Excel users. Integration with Microsoft's program is seamless, and again you can output to PDF and XML. There are more than 250 functions, and 25 different built-in chart types. Indeed, you'd have to be a pretty hardcore spreadsheet junkie to miss MS Excel at all.
If PowerPoint is your main work tool, you may wish to stick with MS Office, however. That's not to say that Presentations is anything but an adequate presentation-creation tool, but Microsoft's powerhouse PowerPoint offers the hardcore presenter more in the way of creativity options.
Ability Office Business comes with free, unlimited support, but via e-mail only. And you don't get a huge amount of documentation in the box. The licence allows for installation and commercial use on two PCs.
Join the newsletter!
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
WD MY PASSPORT™ X Gaming Storage
Apple iPhone X
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
cloudandco Smart Cane
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Toys for Boys
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Xbox One X
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft delves deeper into AI with new kit bag of tools
- Samsung unifies smart-home products with Bixby 2.0
- Optimizely expands its enterprise-focused offerings
- Dropbox go pro with Dropbox Profesional
- Intel launches AI-driven anti-money laundering solution
PCW Evaluation Team
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro Review
- Hands On: Our first impressions of Sony's a7R III
- Legion Y520 Gaming Laptop review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSERVICE DESK - ENTRY LEVELSA
- FTDesktop Technical LeadOther
- PTDirector Programme Management OfficeSA
- FTSenior Project Manager- Infrastructure & Application upgradeOther
- FTSAP Test ManagerACT
- FTSystem AnalystQLD
- FTOffice Manager | Start-up | Global Cloud ProviderVIC
- FTMid-Level Drupal Developer (Brisbane Location)Other
- FTCobol DeveloperOther
- FTSystem AnalystSA
- FTSenior PHP Developer / Team LeadNSW
- FTChange Facilitators / Change AnalystsOther
- FTHR Business PartnerOther
- FTScrum Master | 6mths +Other
- CCRelease ManagerACT
- CCMid - Level SAP Test Analyst (Brisbane)NSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTApplication ArchitectOther
- FTTeam and Project Administrator - SalesforceQLD
- FTSenior Change ManagerACT
- FTDatabase Systems SpecialistOther
- FTScrum MasterOther
- FTSenior Software Engineer - ContractOther
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW