AAD S Series
A 5.1 surround sound speaker system that can blast out powerful noise.
- Powerful, lively sound, impressive aesthetics
- Expensive, large
If you have a dedicated home theatre room or have plenty of spare space, the AAD S Series speaker set is a good choice for music or movies.
Price$ 9,182.00 (AUD)
The AAD S Series speaker set is positioned above the entry-level AAD M Series, with a price tag that reflects its premium status. The increase in sound quality is impressive, as is the styling.
The AAD S Series system consists of two floor-standing speakers, two bookshelf speakers, a centre speaker and a subwoofer. The floor-standing models are the S-5 model (at 20kg each they are not easy to move). A 1in tweeter and two 5in woofers give the speakers a frequency response of 35-30,000Hz — making them competent for most music even without an external subwoofer.
The SR-2 bookshelf rear speakers use two sets of tweeters and woofers firing in perpendicular directions to create a wide and immersive soundstage. It is the S160C subwoofer that steals the show though, with a frequency range extending from 160Hz to as low as 23Hz, and offering plenty of adjustability.
The system has a rich wooden finish with accents of matte black plastic. There are no striking design elements or brushed metal, but we appreciate the simple, curved look of the enclosures and think that they would suit a wide variety of décor. With the speaker grills attached they look unobtrusive and will not attract undue attention.
What is worthy of attention, though, is the sound that the AAD S Series speakers produce. We set the system up with a Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray disc player and ran through a few of the aerial combat scenes of Pearl Harbour, as well as a few helicopter scenes from The Guardian to check out bass response.
It was immediately evident that the speakers are capable of delivering high levels of low, booming bass without overpowering other frequencies. Mid-range dialogue and movie soundtrack notes are still lively and present — the centre speaker’s mid-range focus means that dialogue is easily heard even in busy scenes. We found treble notes to be slightly recessed, giving the system a bass-rich sound.
Where this system excels is in its headroom and its ability to be powered at high volumes. From the lowest volumes to literally room-shaking levels of power, the AAD S Series speakers maintain their composure and even frequency response — a definite bonus if you listen to your blockbuster movies at cinema volumes.
If you can afford it, the AAD S series 5.1 home theatre speaker system will be sure to put a smile on your face, with clear, warm sound and plenty of power.
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- 2 LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- 3 Tag Heuer Connected Smartwatch and Android Wear 2 review
- 4 Subaru XV 2017 review
- 5 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- EC says LCD screen cartel is active globally
- Sharp to increase LCD panel production on higher demand
- Dick Smith report says Australians keen to switch to digital radio
- Samsung, Numonyx to develop PCM specifications
- Faster SD cards could reach devices next year
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Garmin Fenix 5 fitness tracker smartwatch review
- MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro gaming laptop review
- LG 2017 OLED TV range full review: W7 Signature Wallpaper, G7, E7 and C7 UHD TVs
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - online gamblingNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- FTBPM DeveloperNSW
- FTSr Infrastructure Automation EngineerACT
- CCBusiness Analyst - SalesforceVIC
- FTNetwork EngineerQLD
- FTSenior SharePoint Administrator. Location -ACTACT
- CCSenior Systems Engineer - WintelNSW
- FTTest CoordinatorACT
- FTFrontend DeveloperNSW
- FTIT Systems Specialists - Collaboration SystemsNSW
- FTSAP ISU Billing Consultant - FunctionalVIC
- CCGun Java/ Full Stack Developer wanted...VIC
- FTSystem Engineer - VMWare, UCS, NetAppVIC
- FTProcurement OfficerACT
- CCProject Manager Information ManagementQLD
- FTIntegration and Implementation SpecialistVIC
- CCProcess Improvement Specialist - TelcoVIC
- FTSales Client Services Manager (Mid-market)QLD
- CCDisaster Recovery SpecialistQLD
- CCSenior Network Architect l CCNP/CCIE R&S l Cisco ACINSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager IT Software & Primary HealthcareQLD
- FTIT Support / Desktop SupportSA
- FTTest AnalystSA
- FTReport Developer and Visualisation AnalystQLD