3 Mobile Mobile Broadband USB modem
- USB a flexible alternative to PCMCIA, Windows and Mac capable, software installed on modem, ease of use
- Unreliable when in standard 3G or GSM coverage, pricing
3 Mobile's USB modem is a flexible alternative to PCMCIA cards, but be sure to check HSDPA network coverage before you buy
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
Offering wireless access to the Internet via 3 Mobile's high-speed 3G network, the MobileBroadband USB modem is a convenient way to go wireless. It connects via USB, so it offers a flexible alternative for users of desktop PCs and notebooks, as many new machines don't have PCMCIA card slots. Unfortunately, limited High Speed Downlink Packet Access (HSDPA) network coverage means users won't be able to take full advantage of high speeds in every area.
According to 3 Mobile, the MobileBroadband USB Modem provides theoretical maximum data download speeds of up to 3.6Mbps and upload speeds of up to 384Kbps, although the actual speed achieved will vary depending on a number of factors such as device capabilities, your location and equipment, as well as network usage at the time. Not all parts of the 3 network are running at a rate of 3.6Mbps; most of the time, users will achieve speeds ranging from 600kbps to 1.5Mbps. For more information on 3's HSDPA coverage, check out their website.
The 3 service supports connectivity in HSDPA, 3G and GPRS coverage areas. If the HSDPA signal strength isn't strong enough, the service falls back to standard 3G (a maximum speed of 384Kbps). If no HSDPA or 3G signal can be received, then the modem will revert down to standard GSM (60Kbps maximum), which is barely useable, even for basic web browsing.
During testing, the modem performed well in our offices (based in St Leonards, Sydney) receiving a standard HSDPA signal. For consistency we performed a number of tests, ranging from small amounts of data, like emails and basic Web browsing, to streaming services, and finally to basic downloading of files (ranging from 1MB to 4MB in size).
The USB modem has no problem with basic web browsing, loading pages swiftly and without much delay. We also checked our email successfully, with a stable connection and fairly consistent speeds in our offices. If you are in a HSDPA or 3G coverage area, streaming media from such websites as You Tube isn't a problem, but this is virtually impossible if the coverage drops down to GSM. Downloading small files while in a standard HSDPA coverage area, we were able to achieve speeds of up to 100KB/s, but most often fluctuated between 82KB/s and 93KB/s.
The MobileBroadband software included in the package scores points for ease of use and setup. It is compatible with both Windows and Mac OS's, and took less than a couple of minutes to install on our notebook. For PC users, the software and drivers of the modem are installed on the modem itself, so installation is as easy as plugging the modem into a spare USB port and running the installation. For Mac users, a CD containing the MobileBroadband software is included in the package and needs to be installed before you connect the modem. The software has menus for connect/disconnect, browser, SMS and contacts. You can quickly view information on the current session to the right of the screen, including duration of connection, data sent and received, and the fastest transfer rate of the session, both for downloads and uploads.
Three plans are offered for the USB Modem, ranging from the entry level $29 a month for 200MB of data to the highest $69 for 2GB of data. All plans charge an additional 10 cents per megabyte for any additional usage, and $1.65 per megabyte for international roaming usage.
Join the newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 3 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 4 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Ring Video Doorbell review
Latest News Articles
- AMD Radeon Pro Graphics powers Amazon Web Services AppStream 2.0
- Trend Micro Strengthens its Security Offerings in Trend Micro Security
- Billions of devices at risk as Bluetooth-bourne vulnerability exposed
- Here's the Apple macOS High Sierra release date
- Adobe and Microsoft expand productivity partnership
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- Moto E4:
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - InfrastructureVIC
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- FTC++ Analyst ProgrammerOther
- FTNV1 Cleared Software Engineer (Mid level) - Defence Projects - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTSoftware DeveloperACT
- CCData Scientist - Telecom IndustryVIC
- CCService Designer - GovernmentNSW
- CCNetwork Solution ArchitectQLD
- CCSenior Systems EngineerVIC
- FTSenior Pega DeveloperOther
- CCLinux & Windows Systems Engineer - BrisbaneQLD
- TPProject ManagerACT
- CCIT Security ArchitectNSW
- TP.Net DeveloperWA
- FTJunior-Mid level .Net/Front-End Developer (Brisbane location)NSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- FTIT Desktop ManagerOther
- FTTechnical writerNSW
- FTDigital DesignerOther
- CCSAP Techno Function ConsultantNSW
- FTSenior Change ManagerACT
- TPProgram Support OfficerQLD
- FTBusiness Transformation ConsultantOther
- FTScheduling and Reporting Analyst | 3mth ContractOther