3 Mobile Broadband Internet Key
Plug and play mobile broadband
- Slimline design, plug and play, HSDPA 7.2 enabled, intuitive software, easy to set up and use, My3 online usage checker
- 7.2Mbps speeds not possible until completion of network upgrade, expensive if you go over the usage limit
The Internet Key is a competitive offering thanks to a slimline design, plug-and-play capabilities and reasonable costs.
Price$ 249.00 (AUD)
3 Mobile has launched a new-look Internet key that offers wireless access to the Internet via 3's high-speed 3G network. In addition to a slimline design, the Internet Key is plug and play — the software required for its use is installed off the USB device itself, meaning greater flexibility when using it on multiple computers.
According to 3 Mobile, the Internet Key delivers average download speeds of 1.5Mbps and upload speeds of up to 384kbps. It's important to keep in mind that the actual speed achieved will vary depending on a number of factors such as device capabilities, your location and equipment, as well as network usage at the time. However, the Internet Key is HSDPA 7.2 enabled, meaning it will support speeds of up to 7.2Mbps when 3 Mobile completes the next upgrade of its network. (This is currently underway according to 3, but no date has been provided as to when it will be completed. For more information on 3's HSDPA coverage, check out its website.)
3's Mobile Broadband service supports connectivity in HSDPA, 3G and GPRS coverage areas. If the HSDPA signal strength isn't strong enough, the service falls back to standard 3G (a maximum speed of 384Kbps). If no HSDPA or 3G signal can be received, then the modem will revert to standard GSM (60Kbps maximum), which is barely useable, even for basic web browsing.
The Internet Key is one of the smallest mobile broadband devices on the market. Aside from its compact size, one of its main appeals is the fact that the software required to use the service is installed on the USB device itself. This means much more flexibility in terms of using the unit on multiple computers, as you don't need to carry a software disk around with you. It connects via USB, so it offers a flexible alternative for users of desktop PCs and notebooks, as many new machines don't have PC Card slots. The Internet Key is available in soft touch black or shiny white, and features an extra antenna to boost the broadband signal if required.
During testing, the Internet Key performed well in our offices (based in St Leonards, Sydney) receiving a standard HSDPA signal. For consistency we performed a number of tests, ranging from sending and receiving small amounts of data, like emails and basic Web browsing, to streaming services, and finally to basic downloading of files (ranging from 1MB to 57MB in size).
The Internet Key has no problem with basic Web browsing, loading pages swiftly and without much delay. If you are in a HSDPA or 3G coverage area, streaming media from sites like YouTube will be fine. But it will be impossible if the coverage drops down to GSM. Downloading files while in a standard HSDPA coverage area, we were able to achieve speeds of up to 170KBps, but fluctuating regularly between 120KBps and 140KBps. As an example, we managed to download a 57MB file in 5min54sec, a transfer rate of 164KBps.
The Mobile Broadband software included on the Internet Key scores points for ease of use and setup. It is compatible with both Windows and Mac OS, and took less than a couple of minutes to install. The software has menus for connect/disconnect, browser, SMS, contacts and My3. The latter is a convenient way to manage your monthly usage, view invoices or change any account details. You can quickly view information on the current session at the bottom of the window, including duration of connection, the volume of data sent and received, and the current signal strength.
3's Mobile Broadband plans for the Internet Key start at $15 per month for 1GB of data and range up to $29 (3GB) and $49 (6GB) plans over 24 months. On top of this, the key has a device monthly repayment of $10 per month or $5 per month for existing customers. All plans charge an additional 10 cents per megabyte for any additional usage, and $1.65 per megabyte for international roaming usage.
Join the newsletter!
Nespresso Creatista Coffee Machine
SanDisk MicroSDXC™ for Nintendo® Switch™
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-77EZ1000U
cloudandco Smart Cane
Dyson Supersonic™ Hair Dryer Fuchsia/Iron
Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 44
WD MY PASSPORT™ Gaming Storage
Panasonic OLED 4K Ultra HD TV - TH-55EZ950U
Apple iPhone X
Bang and Olufsen BeoVision 14
Toys for Boys
LaCie Rugged USB-C Portable Hard Drive
Google Daydream View VR Headset
Leica M10 Digital Rangefinder Camera
Ubiquiti Network’s Front Row Camera
Bose SoundLink Micro
UBTech First Order Stormtrooper Robot
Onyx Smart Walkie Talkie
Propel Star Wars T-65 X-Wing Drone
Lego Mindstorms EV3
Xbox One X
Amazon Echo Bluetooth Speaker
Nest Protect Smart Smoke Alarm
Belkin Pocket Power 10,000mAh
Dearear Endear In-ear Wireless Earphones
PETKIG Go Smart Dog Leash
iRobot Roomba 980 Vaccum Cleaning Robot
Panasonic 4K UHD Blu-Ray Player and Full HD Recorder with Netflix - UBT1GL-K
WD MY CLOUD™ HOME Personal Cloud Storage
Toffee Bags Commuter Satchel
Panasonic Hi-Fi - SC-UA7GS-K
Urbanworx Full HD Action Camera
Panasonic Portable Splashproof Fun - RF-D20U
Lexon Flip Alarm Clock
Fallout Geeki Tikis
Tile Pro Bluetooth Tracker
Raspberry Pi Starter Kit
Razer DeathAdder Expert Ergonomic Gaming Mouse
Kogan Bluetooth Soundbar
Ikea NORDMÄRKE Wireless Charging Pad
Logitech Doodle Collection Wireless Mouse
3SIXT 3-in-1 Smartphone Lens Kit
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense takes the fight to home entertainment heavyweights with flagship Series 8 and 9 ULED TVs
- 2 Sony's latest Ultra HD OLED debuts in Australia
- 3 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 4 D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD DSH-C310 review
- 5 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Broadband growth seen slowing, shifting to Asia
- WiGig fast wireless may change Wi-Fi, home networks
- Google secure data tool ties Apps to company data
- Telco insiders say regulatory reform raises questions for Telstra
- 3 to allow Next G mobile broadband roaming from mid April
PCW Evaluation Team
I would recommend this device for families and small businesses who want one safe place to store all their important digital content and a way to easily share it with friends, family, business partners, or customers.
It’s easy to set up, it’s compact and quiet when printing and to top if off, the print quality is excellent. This is hands down the best printer I’ve used for printing labels.
Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
- LG V30+ review: The videographer's smartphone arrives
- Fitbit Ionic review: Impressive but not quite iconic
- Xbox One X review: Brave new world
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTEnterprise Lean Agile CoachOther
- FTSAS Solution DesignerOther
- FTLevel 1 Application Support (POS)QLD
- CCLinux Platform/Development SpecialistACT
- FTRiggers / Telecommunication RiggersOther
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectOther
- CCSenior Development DBA - OracleNSW
- FTSenior Project Manager - Telco - App DevOther
- FTLevel 2 Support Engineer | 12mth FTCOther
- CCDynamics CRM Functional Consultant - BrisbaneVIC
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystOther
- FTSalesforce DeveloperOther
- CCTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- CCData TesterNSW
- FTData AnalystOther
- FTJava J2EE DeveloperOther
- CCTechnical Support OfficerNSW
- FTSharePoint DeveloperACT
- FTAutomation Test ManagerOther
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness AnalystACT
- FTDigital ProducerQLD
- FTBusiness Analyst- Windows 10 SOE rollout projectOther
- FTETL/Data EngineerOther