Three men were sentenced Thursday in the U.K. for their roles in a series of distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks launched against financial and music industry organizations in 2010 by the Anonymous hacktivist collective.Christopher Weatherhead, 22, of Northampton and Ashley Rhodes, 28, of Camberwell, London, received prison sentences of 18 and 7 months respectively for conspiracy to impair the operation of computers, a representative of the Southwark Crown Court Clerk's Office in London said Friday.Another co-conspirator, Peter Gibson, 24, of Hartlepool, received a six-month prison sentence suspended for two years and 100 hours of community service, the court's representative said.The conspiracy charges brought against the three men were in connection with DDoS attacks launched in 2010 against PayPal, MasterCard, Visa, the British Phonographic Industry (BPI), the Ministry of Sound record label and the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry. These attacks were were part of an Anonymous DDoS campaign called Operation Payback.Operation Payback originally targeted organizations involved in combating online piracy. However, in December 2010, the operation shifted its focus toward several financial companies that decided to stop providing services to Wikileaks, which restricted the site's ability to receive new donations and access its existing funds.Weatherhead, who used the online moniker "Nerdo," was arrested in January 2011 and was charged in September that same year. He pleaded not guilty, but was convicted on one count of conspiracy to impair the operation of computers on Dec. 6, 2012.Peter Gibson and Ashley Rhodes had pleaded guilty to one count each of conspiracy to impair the operation of computers on March 6, 2012 and July 11, 2012, respectively. A fourth co-conspirator, Jake Birchall, 18, from Chester, pleaded guilty to the same charges on Jan. 26, 2012, but will be sentenced at a later date.Reached for comment on Friday, the U.K.'s Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) referred to a statement issued by Russell Tyner, Crown Advocate for the CPS Organised Crime Division, in December, after Weatherhead was convicted. Tyner said at the time that attacks launched by Weatherhead and the other conspirators cost the targeted companies over £3.5 million (US$5.6 million) in additional staffing, software and loss of sales.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Panasonic Ultra HD OLED TV Review
- 2 Oppo A77 smartphone: Full in-depth review
- 3 Huawei GR5 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 4 Ring Video Doorbell review
- 5 Sony Bravia 2017 TVs: Full, in-depth review
- Easy Fixes for Six Common Laptop Problems
- Intel kills its standalone Project Alloy VR headset, as PC-powered VR wins out
- AMD Radeon phases out the CrossFire brand as multi-GPU gets more complicated
- Radeon RX Vega graphics cards get 2-way multi-GPU support in Radeon Software 17.9.2
- Creative Sound BlasterX Siege M04 review: This debut mouse impresses
PCW Evaluation Team
The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.
The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.
The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic
I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.
It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.
The HP OfficeJet 250 Mobile Printer is a great device that fits perfectly into my fast paced and mobile lifestyle. My first impression of the printer itself was how incredibly compact and sleek the device was.
- LG G6 Plus: Full, in-depth review
- First Look: The Evil Within 2
- Huawei Y5 (2017)
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSocial Media Executive / Specialist (Facebook) - Online PokerNSW
- FTProject Manager | High Profile 4 year Transformation ProjectQLD
- FTData ScientistOther
- FTDigital Acquisition Campaign ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Software DeveloperSA
- CCTechnologyOne Systems AdministratorVIC
- CCSCCM EngineerNSW
- FTSecurity Consultant - Security SDMNSW
- FTDelivery ManagerVIC
- CCScrum Master / Project ManagerNSW
- TPFront End DeveloperQLD
- FTProgram Level Agile CoachOther
- FTFTTx Network Area PlannerOther
- CCService Delivery LeadQLD
- FTETL & SQL Data AnalystOther
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- TPSenior Security Consultant - WirelessNSW
- CCMultiple Python DeveloperVIC
- FTGeneral Manager - Security, Risk & ComplianceNSW
- CCMultiple Hadoop Developers Canberra, Brisbane, Melbourne or AdelaideSA
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- CCReporting Data Analyst - TelcoVIC
- TPBusiness Intelligence AnalystSA
- TPProgram Manager - Managed ServicesQLD
- CCService Integration and Delivery Manager- SIAMNSW