Samsung has moved quickly to denounce rumours suggesting its upcoming Galaxy S III smartphone would be unveiled at a scheduled media event in France on March 22.
The company confirmed to The Next Web today that the rumours, suggesting that the hotly-anticipated follow up to the Galaxy S II would launch next month, were completely false.
The media event in France on March 22 is instead an open day that will focus on the company's existing products, a Samsung spokesperson told The Next Web. These will incorporate any new products that Samsung unveils at the Mobile World Congress trade show in Barcelona, the world's largest exhibition for the mobile industry.
Samsung has already confirmed the Galaxy S III won't be unveiled at this year's Mobile World Congress as previously expected. In a worldwide media statement last week, a company spokesperson said: "The successor to the Galaxy S II smartphone will be unveiled at a separate Samsung-hosted event in the first half of the year, closer to commercial availability of the product."
Samsung has refused to comment on other reports, such as an ETnews piece claiming that the company is focusing its resources on reducing the size of internal components in order to make the Galaxy S III just 7mm thick. In comparison, the Galaxy S II it will replace is 8.5mm thick, Apple's iPhone 4S measures 9.3mm and Motorola's RAZR is 7.1mm at its thinnest point. The latter is currently the world's thinnest smartphone.
The Samsung Galaxy S III is expected to boast a number of class leading specifications including a 4.5 or 4.6in 720p Super AMOLED Plus display, a 1.8GHz dual-core processor, 2GB of RAM and a 12-megapixel camera.