Bungie president Harold Ryan told Eurogamer Thursday that the Halo title no-show at E3 last week was in fact "no laughing matter."
One of the bigger surprises at E3 last week was what didn't get shown, and that includes the mysterious Halo title that was hyped in the lead up to the show, and then promptly pulled.
At the time, Microsoft, the publisher of the title, said the absence was the result of an amicable decision made by itself and Bungie. Xbox senior VP Don Mattrick said the cancellation meeting he had with Bungie president Harold Ryan went swimmingly, and that Ryan "just laughed" and said "we agree" when he received news his company's game was being shelved for the show.
Turns out Ryan remembers things a little differently.
"Keeping things clean, I certainly didn't agree with the decision to delay our news until sometime after E3," Ryan said. "Bungie is always concerned first and foremost with our fans. Whenever we are prevented from exceeding their positive expectations it is not a laughing matter."
What effect this rift (called "Halogate" in some circles today) will have on the new Halo title, if any, remains to be seen.