EU approves Sony-NEC joint venture

The European Commission Friday gave its approval to the creation of an optical disk drive venture between Sony and NEC.

The European Commission announced Friday that it has approved the creation of an optical disc drive (ODD) joint venture between Sony and NEC.

Under the joint venture, the Japanese companies will work together in the development, design and marketing of optical data-storage disk drives, including re-writable CDs and DVDs. Disk production will be outsourced.

The joint venture will replace both companies' own activities in the market, the Commission said.

The venture, Sony NEC Optiarc, will neither reduce competition nor consumer choice, since it will face competition from various companies, including Hitachi, Toshiba, Samsung, Pioneer, Panasonic and Lite-On, the Commission said.

Sony will hold a 55 percent stake with NEC holding the remaining 45 percent of the company, which will start operations in April.

Join the newsletter!

Error: Please check your email address.
Rocket to Success - Your 10 Tips for Smarter ERP System Selection
Keep up with the latest tech news, reviews and previews by subscribing to the Good Gear Guide newsletter.

Paul Meller

IDG News Service
Show Comments

Most Popular Reviews

Latest Articles

Resources

PCW Evaluation Team

Ben Ramsden

Sharp PN-40TC1 Huddle Board

Brainstorming, innovation, problem solving, and negotiation have all become much more productive and valuable if people can easily collaborate in real time with minimal friction.

Sarah Ieroianni

Brother QL-820NWB Professional Label Printer

The print quality also does not disappoint, it’s clear, bold, doesn’t smudge and the text is perfectly sized.

Ratchada Dunn

Sharp PN-40TC1 Huddle Board

The Huddle Board’s built in program; Sharp Touch Viewing software allows us to easily manipulate and edit our documents (jpegs and PDFs) all at the same time on the dashboard.

George Khoury

Sharp PN-40TC1 Huddle Board

The biggest perks for me would be that it comes with easy to use and comprehensive programs that make the collaboration process a whole lot more intuitive and organic

David Coyle

Brother PocketJet PJ-773 A4 Portable Thermal Printer

I rate the printer as a 5 out of 5 stars as it has been able to fit seamlessly into my busy and mobile lifestyle.

Kurt Hegetschweiler

Brother PocketJet PJ-773 A4 Portable Thermal Printer

It’s perfect for mobile workers. Just take it out — it’s small enough to sit anywhere — turn it on, load a sheet of paper, and start printing.

Featured Content

Latest Jobs

Don’t have an account? Sign up here

Don't have an account? Sign up now

Forgot password?