Texas Instruments and MediaTek have launched new offerings aimed at making it easier to build IoT (Internet of Things) devices with Wi-Fi connectivity.
The Wi-Fi Alliance warned that LTE on unlicensed frequencies could interfere with Wi-Fi and said it plans to collaborate with the 3GPP cellular standards group to help prevent that.
Wi-Fi may carry many voice calls within the next few years, but the technology required to make those calls is still young in some ways.
If unlicensed Wi-Fi spectrum is like a cool, independently run cafe, then mobile operators using those frequencies for LTE may sound like a corporate chain buying out your favorite spot.
Steadily growing demand for faster enterprise wireless LANs in the next four years is expected to drive up sales of both Wi-Fi gear and a new type of Ethernet for connecting next-generation access points.
Upstart mobile carrier FreedomPop is adding an unlimited data, voice and messaging plan for US$5 per month using Wi-Fi hotspots, and it plans to sell a Wi-Fi-only phone to use on the service.
Cisco Systems is forging ahead with LAN switches designed to support faster Wi-Fi access points even while an Ethernet standard for the technology they use is still taking shape.
Hotel operator Marriott International has backed off its request to block some outside Wi-Fi hotspots inside its facilities, saying the company has responded to customer feedback.
The U.S. Federal Communications Commission will soon decide whether to lay down rules regarding hotels' ability to block personal Wi-Fi hotspots inside their buildings, a practice that recently earned Marriott International a US $600,000 fine.
Using Wi-Fi networks in crowded environments can be a soul-destroying experience, but next-generation access points powered by Qualcomm chipsets will use a new antenna technology to ease the pain.
AT&T has reversed itself on in-flight Wi-Fi, dropping a plan announced just months ago that would have seen the carrier launch services on airliners next year.
As small businesses make their Wi-Fi more enterprise-like, Ruckus Wireless wants to meet them where they live with that hallmark of consumer tech, the mobile app.
A partnership that lets Wi-Fi users get on free public networks in San Francisco and San Jose, California, with a one-time joining process now also covers a hotspot along the River Thames in London.
The Internet can ease travel concerns in many ways, including flight-delay information, maps of road congestion, and ride-sharing apps. But a Wi-Fi network at the Austin, Texas, airport can now answer one of the great unknowns: How long will I have t...
Areas starved for high-speed broadband may get a new option thanks to a system that's based on Wi-Fi hardware and could deliver half a gigabit per second to each home.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- AMD's Radeon Pro WX GPUs can create VR content for under $1,000
- AMD introduces a new Radeon Pro WX series to replace FirePro
- How to use Microsoft Edge, Windows 10's new browser
- Here are the key security features coming to Windows 10 next week
- Nvidia's latest Quadro GPU delivers a blistering 12 teraflops of performance
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCChange CoordinatorNSW
- CCSolutions ArchitectQLD
- CCCrystal reports expertACT
- CCBusiness Analyst - CloudVIC
- FTService Desk Team LeadNSW
- CCProject Coordinator/ Jr Business Analyst- Govt backgroundNSW
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- CCTest CoordinatorQLD
- CCProject Manager - Change/Transformation/Project DeliveryNSW
- CCBusiness Intelligence Developer - Initial 3mth ContractVIC
- FTBusiness Development ManagerVIC
- FTMobile DeveloperWA
- CCPractice Lead - Java, FrontendVIC
- CCAsp.Net Developer with Angular, SQL,Twitter Bootstrapper, CSSNSW
- FTNV2 Defence Project ManagerACT
- CCSolution DesignerNSW
- CCCRM Technical Consultant / DeveloperNSW
- CCVendor ManagerVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE) 160721/AP/075Asia
- CCSenior Agile Java/Spring/AngularJS EngineerNSW
- FTProgram Master SchedulerVIC
- FTSAP FS-PM/FS-PQM SpecialistVIC
- FTProject ManagerVIC
- FTDefence Network EngineerACT