Texas Instruments and MediaTek have launched new offerings aimed at making it easier to build IoT (Internet of Things) devices with Wi-Fi connectivity.
The Wi-Fi Alliance warned that LTE on unlicensed frequencies could interfere with Wi-Fi and said it plans to collaborate with the 3GPP cellular standards group to help prevent that.
Wi-Fi may carry many voice calls within the next few years, but the technology required to make those calls is still young in some ways.
If unlicensed Wi-Fi spectrum is like a cool, independently run cafe, then mobile operators using those frequencies for LTE may sound like a corporate chain buying out your favorite spot.
Steadily growing demand for faster enterprise wireless LANs in the next four years is expected to drive up sales of both Wi-Fi gear and a new type of Ethernet for connecting next-generation access points.
Upstart mobile carrier FreedomPop is adding an unlimited data, voice and messaging plan for US$5 per month using Wi-Fi hotspots, and it plans to sell a Wi-Fi-only phone to use on the service.
Cisco Systems is forging ahead with LAN switches designed to support faster Wi-Fi access points even while an Ethernet standard for the technology they use is still taking shape.
Hotel operator Marriott International has backed off its request to block some outside Wi-Fi hotspots inside its facilities, saying the company has responded to customer feedback.
The U.S. Federal Communications Commission will soon decide whether to lay down rules regarding hotels' ability to block personal Wi-Fi hotspots inside their buildings, a practice that recently earned Marriott International a US $600,000 fine.
Using Wi-Fi networks in crowded environments can be a soul-destroying experience, but next-generation access points powered by Qualcomm chipsets will use a new antenna technology to ease the pain.
AT&T has reversed itself on in-flight Wi-Fi, dropping a plan announced just months ago that would have seen the carrier launch services on airliners next year.
As small businesses make their Wi-Fi more enterprise-like, Ruckus Wireless wants to meet them where they live with that hallmark of consumer tech, the mobile app.
A partnership that lets Wi-Fi users get on free public networks in San Francisco and San Jose, California, with a one-time joining process now also covers a hotspot along the River Thames in London.
The Internet can ease travel concerns in many ways, including flight-delay information, maps of road congestion, and ride-sharing apps. But a Wi-Fi network at the Austin, Texas, airport can now answer one of the great unknowns: How long will I have t...
Areas starved for high-speed broadband may get a new option thanks to a system that's based on Wi-Fi hardware and could deliver half a gigabit per second to each home.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Twitter's Vine dies today, so download your videos pronto
- Nvidia's new Shield TV launches with HDR support, and connected home smarts on deck
- Why Linux users should worry about malware and what they can do about it
- A new Microsoft foldable device patent offers more grist for the Surface phone rumor mill
- Epson FastFoto FF-640 review: Quick, convenient photo scans don’t come cheap
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBrand Marketing Manager - Premium Entertainment BrandNSW
- CCBiztalk DeveloperACT
- CCIT Solutions ArchitectQLD
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- TPInfrastructure ArchitectVIC
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- CCTester- InfrastructureACT
- CCBiztalk DeveloperNSW
- CCFIS Connex DeveloperQLD
- TPProgram ManagerNSW
- FTChief ArchitectVIC
- CCAAA DeveloperNSW
- TPDeployment Support EngineerVIC
- FTRegional Sales Manager - Telco/ICT - Employer of choiceQLD
- FTInformation / Data Quality AnalystNSW
- TPBI Report Developer - SSRS SSIS SSASNSW
- FTNetIQ Development & SupportNSW
- FTSolutions Architect - Data Centre/ NetworkSA
- FTTechnical Consultant MS Dynamics AXSA
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Functional Consultant Advanced Warehouse ManagementSA
- CCICT Contracts ManagerSA
- FTEnterprise Sales ManagerVIC
- CCProject SchedulerNSW
- TPIT Procurement OfficerQLD
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperVIC