Microsoft may release Windows 7 as early as next November, bloggers speculated Wednesday, pointing to postings on the company's own Web site and comments made by the CEO of Asus, the company that makes the popular Eee PC line of netbooks.
Windows 7 will be like Windows Vista, but more so, Microsoft Corp. CEO Steve Ballmer said today as he defended the first two years of Vista and claimed its successor will be a major release.
After users disputed his count, a Microsoft executive explained how the company concluded that the upcoming Windows 7 is the seventh version of the operating system.
Microsoft has announced that the code name for its next operating system, Windows 7, will be the product's official name.
Microsoft plans to improve the much-maligned user account control (UAC) feature in the next version of its Windows client OS, acknowledging that the new security feature it built into Windows Vista has caused unnecessary problems for users.
Microsoft Wednesday squelched speculation on when the public would get its hands on Windows 7 code by confirming that attendees at its Professional Developers Conference would receive a pre-beta version.
Microsoft won't likely miss the chance to showcase Windows 7 in the next two months at a pair of tech conferences, and will give developers code for hands-on work, an analyst said Monday.
Microsoft has already seeded its most popular patching tool for corporate users with a reference to Windows 7, its planned successor to Windows Vista.
Microsoft's head of engineering for the Windows 7 operating system says there are 25 'feature teams' of about 100 employees each working on the upcoming replacement to Windows Vista.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Ford Focus ST (2015) review: Absolutely mental styling, engine, handling
- 2 LG 65-inch UHD TV (65UF950T) review
- 3 Playing chicken with a Tesla Model S
- 4 Audi TT (2015) review: A smarter take on the sports coupe
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Deals on Good Gear Guide
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft bests Google in patent case appeal
- Yahoo picks up fashion commerce site Polyvore
- Mt. Gox CEO Karpeles arrested by Japanese police
- Facebook says Flash security woes could hurt its business
- IBM fattens patent portfolio in cloud tech
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Network EngineerNSW
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW