Privacy group wants Google to forget more... Programmer escapes vampire squid... Self-driving cars evade human menace... and more tech news
Google is making good on its promise to make its Maps app more comprehensive and useful following its acquisition of mapping company Waze, with some new traffic update features going live Tuesday.
Google's updated version of Maps finally started rolling out to Android smartphones and tablets this week. The interface has been overhauled to more closely match Google's new design norm.
Google is incorporating several new features into its Maps app on Android-powered devices -- which are also coming soon to iOS -- to make it easier to search and navigate using the service.
U.S. antitrust agencies should block Google's proposed acquisition of crowdsourced mapping app Waze because the deal would take away Google's major competitor in mobile maps, consumer group Consumer Watchdog said.
Google is buying the crowdsourced mapping app developer Waze, in a move geared toward adding more real-time navigation tools to its own Maps software, the company announced Tuesday.
Waze's crowdsourced traffic and navigation app is attractive to Google, which is said to be a serious suitor for the app, because of the wealth of mapping data it offers. But Waze's biggest draw may be social, some experts say.
Google is close to a deal to acquire Waze, maker of the eponymous crowdsourced mapping app, for at least $1 billion, according to the Wall Street Journal and others.
Hackers can influence real-time traffic-flow-analysis systems to make people drive into traffic jams or to keep roads clear in areas where a lot of people use Google or Waze navigation systems, a German researcher demonstrated at BlackHat Europe.
Have you ever been running late to an important business meeting or client presentation only to find yourself stuck in a two-mile traffic jam due to an accident on the highway, or having to reroute around a flooded road? Of course you have. Checking ...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 2 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 3 Parrot Mambo Drone review
- 4 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 5 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Raspberry Pi Roundup: Watching for the meter-reader, driving Lego cars and sweet art
- Pixel demand is higher than expected, with some pre-orders being pushed back to November
- Meet the sleek Surface Studio all-in-one, Microsoft's first-ever desktop PC
- Windows 10 Creators Update adds easy-peasy PC game streaming over Xbox Live
- Windows 10's new Paint 3D app drags physical objects into digital worlds
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- TV buying guide: What to look for when buying a TV in 2016
- Best iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus plans: Optus vs Telstra vs Vodafone vs Virgin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTAX Functional ConsultantNSW
- TPICT Procurement OfficerQLD
- FTDelivery LeadNSW
- TPProject Coordinator - IT projectsVIC
- CCSenior Pega DeveloperVIC
- CCAcquisition Marketing Executive - B2BNSW
- CCSenior Front End DeveloperWA
- FTProject ManagerSA
- TPSenior Software EngineerQLD
- CCHuman Sciences Professional - DefenceVIC
- CCTechnical Consultant MS Dynamics AX - Brisbane BasedQLD
- TPTableau SpecialistNSW
- CCSAP Release & Deployment ManagerNSW
- CCSoftware DeveloperWA
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectNSW
- FTMobile DeveloperNSW
- CCOpen_5pm_27/10_Project CoordinatorACT
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectWA
- CCSenior Frontend Developer (Angular or React or Ember)NSW
- CCSolution DesignerVIC
- CCWeb Programmer - Sydney - GovernmentNSW
- TPiOS Developer | Tech Start-UpNSW
- FTFrontend DeveloperNSW
- CCTechnical SpecialistVIC