The right to unlock your cellphone became law on Friday as President Barack Obama signed a bill that rapidly passed both houses of the U.S. Congress.
The U.S. House of Representatives has passed a bill that would allow mobile phone users to unlock their devices and switch carriers, overriding a 2013 decision by the Library of Congress to make the practice illegal.
Some former supporters of a mobile phone unlocking bill in the U.S. Congress have withdrawn their support for the legislation because of a new provision added to it as it heads to the House of Representatives floor for a vote.
Momentum is growing in the U.S. Congress to overturn a U.S. Library of Congress ruling that took mobile phone unlocking out of the legal exemptions to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
The author of a successful White House petition calling on government officials to legalize the unlocking of mobile phones has turned his attention to broader reform of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
U.S. President Barack Obama's administration has sided with more than 100,000 petition signers who asked the government to legalize the unlocking of smartphones.
More than 85,000 people have signed a Whitehouse.gov petition asking U.S. President Barack Obama to reverse a decision by the Library of Congress making the unlocking of mobile phones illegal under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
The U.S. Library of Congress is now storing 500 million tweets per day as part of its efforts to build a Twitter archive, and has added a total of about 170 billion tweets to its collection.
Modifying Apple's iPhone software to install applications not approved by Apple will still be legal under new exemptions to take effect on Sunday in the U.S., but illegal for an iPad and other tablets.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 3 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
- 5 Parrot Mambo Drone review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- Smartwatches wear out their welcome with Motorola
- The mysteries of the GPU in Apple's iPhone 7 are unlocked
- Apple reportedly betting on drones and indoor data to make Maps better
- Apple now takes your old Apple Watch for free recycling
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCSenior Automation TesterNSW
- FTNode Developer / ArchitectVIC
- CCSAP HR Functional ConsultantQLD
- CCSenior Change Manager - Financial ServicesNSW
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTIT Specialist - Application Blueprinting Engineer ( Developer)NSW
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- TPJava Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- FTEnterprise Architect - InformationQLD
- CCFinancial AnalystNSW
- FTTechnical Business AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Front End DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Information Management SMENSW
- FTPHP DevelopersQLD
- CCSenior Technical Specialist - AIXVIC
- FTJunior / Trainee Storage AdministratorNSW
- FTDatabase Administration Team LeaderQLD
- CCC++ DeveloperNSW
- CCLotus Notes DeveloperNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant Applications & ServersSA
- CCAdobe AEM DeveloperVIC
- FTWinforms Developer - European Integration ProgramVIC
- FTService Desk AnalystVIC
- CCDesktop/Laptop Deployment TechnicianVIC
- FTSenior Project Analyst, PMO, WealthNSW