The right to unlock your cellphone became law on Friday as President Barack Obama signed a bill that rapidly passed both houses of the U.S. Congress.
The U.S. House of Representatives has passed a bill that would allow mobile phone users to unlock their devices and switch carriers, overriding a 2013 decision by the Library of Congress to make the practice illegal.
Some former supporters of a mobile phone unlocking bill in the U.S. Congress have withdrawn their support for the legislation because of a new provision added to it as it heads to the House of Representatives floor for a vote.
Momentum is growing in the U.S. Congress to overturn a U.S. Library of Congress ruling that took mobile phone unlocking out of the legal exemptions to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
The author of a successful White House petition calling on government officials to legalize the unlocking of mobile phones has turned his attention to broader reform of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
U.S. President Barack Obama's administration has sided with more than 100,000 petition signers who asked the government to legalize the unlocking of smartphones.
More than 85,000 people have signed a Whitehouse.gov petition asking U.S. President Barack Obama to reverse a decision by the Library of Congress making the unlocking of mobile phones illegal under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
The U.S. Library of Congress is now storing 500 million tweets per day as part of its efforts to build a Twitter archive, and has added a total of about 170 billion tweets to its collection.
Modifying Apple's iPhone software to install applications not approved by Apple will still be legal under new exemptions to take effect on Sunday in the U.S., but illegal for an iPad and other tablets.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 802.11ac Wi-Fi gear driving strong WLAN equipment sales
- Microsoft declares 350M devices now on Windows 10
- Facebook chooses friends and family over celebrities in your feed, which is probably healthy
- Florida man sues Apple for $10 billion for 'stealing' his iPhone invention from 1992
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSolution Architect / Designer - Cyber SecurityNSW
- CCJava Developer with Oracle database experience | Defence intelligence | NV1ACT
- CCSnr IT Project Manager - Contact CentreVIC
- CCSharePoint DeveloperSA
- CCSharePoint Consultant - Office 365NSW
- FTTIBCO Technical LeadNSW
- CCUser Experience AnalystACT
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCLinux Systems AdministratorQLD
- FTSenior Java Developer (Java/Maven/AEM)NSW
- CCSales Specialist - DigitalNSW
- CCLead Solution Analyst - BMC Remedy softwareVIC
- FTUX DesignerVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160616/AP/185Asia
- CCICT PreSales SpecialistVIC
- CCLead Communications ConsultantWA
- CCCobol ProgrammerACT
- FTBusiness Analyst - Toolset ReadinessNSW
- FTProject ManagerACT
- CCJunior PM/ConsultantACT
- FTProject Manager - Insurance experience neededNSW
- CCTelecommunications Operations Support officerACT
- FTOracle Fusion Implementation ConsultantNSW
- FTIT Project Coordinator- Data Center Infrastructure backgroundNSW
- CCSenior Project Coordinator - Large Telco - URGENTNSW