The right to unlock your cellphone became law on Friday as President Barack Obama signed a bill that rapidly passed both houses of the U.S. Congress.
The U.S. House of Representatives has passed a bill that would allow mobile phone users to unlock their devices and switch carriers, overriding a 2013 decision by the Library of Congress to make the practice illegal.
Some former supporters of a mobile phone unlocking bill in the U.S. Congress have withdrawn their support for the legislation because of a new provision added to it as it heads to the House of Representatives floor for a vote.
Momentum is growing in the U.S. Congress to overturn a U.S. Library of Congress ruling that took mobile phone unlocking out of the legal exemptions to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
The author of a successful White House petition calling on government officials to legalize the unlocking of mobile phones has turned his attention to broader reform of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
U.S. President Barack Obama's administration has sided with more than 100,000 petition signers who asked the government to legalize the unlocking of smartphones.
More than 85,000 people have signed a Whitehouse.gov petition asking U.S. President Barack Obama to reverse a decision by the Library of Congress making the unlocking of mobile phones illegal under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
The U.S. Library of Congress is now storing 500 million tweets per day as part of its efforts to build a Twitter archive, and has added a total of about 170 billion tweets to its collection.
Modifying Apple's iPhone software to install applications not approved by Apple will still be legal under new exemptions to take effect on Sunday in the U.S., but illegal for an iPad and other tablets.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Mazda MX-5 (2016) review: Absolute driving purity
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Kogan Mobile upgrades to 4G network
- Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- MIT uses 4D maps to help robot teams navigate moving obstacles
- A new AMD licensing deal could create more x86 rivals for Intel
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSenior Automation Tester - MicroservicesNSW
- FTManager; Enterprise ArchitectureNSW
- CCHealthcare Test SpecialistSA
- CCService DeskWA
- CCSenior Project Manager, Technology Upgrade & RefreshNSW
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer (JAVA/Windows Programming) 160422/AP/544Asia
- CCJava Developer (front end)WA
- CCContract ManagerVIC
- CCSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCWeb Content Developer- Angular, PHP, interface backgroundNSW
- CCChange Manager x 2NSW
- FTDigital Project ManagerVIC
- FTVendor Manager / Team Lead - ITIL / ITSMVIC
- CCServer SpecialistACT
- CCUser Experience ExpertVIC
- CCInfrastructure Engineer - Windows, VMWare, HyperVWA
- FTProject Manager | Permanent role in Canberra | NV1/2 clearedACT
- CCEnvironment ManagerVIC
- FTITSM Head of Service Desk & SwitchboardACT
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer (Lotus Notes/Networking) 160504/AP/781Asia
- CCSharepoint DeveloperVIC
- CCNV2 - System Administration / Application SupportACT
- FTJunior Inside Sales Rep | National systems integrator & MSP | $60-70K+NSW