Twitter is testing a feature intended to make it more convenient and secure for end users to include shortened Web addresses, or URLs, in messages they post via the popular microblogging service and via its third-party applications.
AVG Technologies is offering a free software tool to protect Twitter users from malicious sites that lurk behind shortened URLs.
Little more than a week after Nambu Network said it was shutting down URL-shortener tr.im, and just days after the service was reactivated, its founder announced he would take the code open-source and give up the attractive URL.
The Canadian developer who operates tr.im brought the URL-shortening service back online yesterday, just three days after shutting it down.
Hoping to deal with a growing problem, Twitter has quietly introduced a feature to prevent users from posting links to malicious Web sites. But security experts say that it can be easily circumvented.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Should Netflix refund its geoblocked customers for their inconvenience?
- Windows 10's big Anniversary Update will hit phones the same time as PCs
- Hands-on with Pokémon Go: Catch 'em all by exploring the real world
- The Assembly hands-on: The future of VR is adventure games
- EC Technology Foldable Bluetooth Keyboard review: This Jorno clone can save you a few bucks
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTTechnical Services ManagerACT
- FTSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCLead Communications ConsultantWA
- CCSenior Applications SpecialistQLD
- CCAgile Business AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst, InsuranceNSW
- FTTableau BI DeveloperNSW
- CCSAP BASIS ConsultantVIC
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Enterprise DataNSW
- FTEnvironment ManagerVIC
- CCSecurity Solution ArchitectQLD
- CCSenior IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160630/SITA/642Asia
- CCProject Analyst/ CoordinatorVIC
- FTSystems EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Media AnalystVIC
- FTMobility Developer x 2 - iOS and Android positions available!NSW
- CCProject Manager | Experimental military technology | NV1ACT
- CCAEM Backend DeveloperVIC
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCIT Finance Systems Process AnalystNSW
- FTDatabase DeveloperACT
- CCContract System Analyst (Renewable Contract)Asia
- CCBusiness System Analyst - FinanceVIC
- FTBusiness Analyst - Clinical SystemsSA
- CCSalesforce DeveloperVIC