Users can now place free video calls with Messenger, as Facebook continues to extend the app beyond simple text-based chats.
Facebook wants to mesh its massive social network with phone communications so that it can provide its members with useful information about people at the other end of the line.
Google and SpaceX could be joining forces to beam the Internet from the sky after Google and Fidelity Investments together invested US$1 billion in Elon Musk's space venture.
Kim Dotcom, founder of the file hosting service Mega, is preparing to launch an encrypted video-calling and chat service that will shield its users' communications from government surveillance.
Microsoft's upcoming Skype for Web service will use the new WebRTC standard so it works in all modern browsers -- but not right away: Early users will have to download a plugin that's only available on Mac and Windows.
Microsoft has decided to stop routing Skype Internet calls from within India to local landlines and mobile phones, in a move that may signal it is giving in to local regulations.
Ericsson is resurrecting its WebRTC-based browser, Bowser, to help spark the development of more websites and apps that embrace voice, video and messaging features.
A special version of Skype designed for professional TV broadcasts reached another milestone with its release to manufacturers and the signing of three hardware partners.
Viber has updated its apps for Android and iOS to let users make video calls.
Google Glass is now available to any adult living in the U.K., as the company eyes international expansion of its head mounted computer system.
You'd be forgiven for thinking Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos wants to compete with other phone makers with his company's new Fire smartphone. But forget the multiple cameras and pretty 3-D-like effects, the device is really about selling more stuff.
Microsoft promises that a revamped Skype app for the iPhone will be significantly better than the current version, although it may be too late for users who have long since switched to other options.
Unify, a joint venture between Siemens and the Gores Group, will cut 50 per cent of its staff and refocus its product roster away from hardware, following a shift in the overall unified communications market toward software and Cloud services.
Sales of video conferencing and telepresence hardware systems are declining, hurt by an increase in cloud and software-based options that often are cheaper and simpler to deploy, according to an IDC study.
Aiming to connect more people speaking different languages, Microsoft plans to roll out a beta version of its speech-translation technology on Skype later this year.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Synology DS216+ Review
- 3 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 4 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 5 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Surprise! Nvidia reveals a new Pascal-powered Titan X and it looks like an utter monster
- Apple faces lawsuit over AppleCare refurbished devices not being new
- Intel experiments with 3D Xpoint as it ships out SSDs to testers
- Edward Snowden has developed an iPhone case meant to kill surveillance
- Tesla wants to end fossil fuel use, make self-driving cars 10X safer
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCUI/UX DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior PHP Developer (12 month contract )VIC
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FTNV2 Defence Project ManagerACT
- CCContract IT Assistant (HTML/PC LAN/XML) 160711/ITA/692Asia
- FTApplication Support AnalystSA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle) 160728/AP/623Asia
- CCAsp.Net Developer with Angular, SQL,Twitter Bootstrapper, CSSNSW
- CCSOA -Solution Architect -baselineACT
- CCEnvironment Support AnalystQLD
- CCeLearning Developer / Learning Management System AdministratorACT
- CCSenior Business Systems AnalystVIC
- CCUser Access Review (UAR) DeveloperVIC
- CC.NET DeveloperQLD
- CCSystems AdministratorSA
- FTJava DeveloperVIC
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL/Web) 160719/P/741Asia
- CCExcel Modelling specialist/consultant.VIC
- CCProject Services CoordinatorACT
- CCAgile Scrum MasterACT
- FTFull-Stack .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTSAP ESB Service Management SpecialistVIC
- CCCRM Technical Consultant / DeveloperNSW
- CCLead Business AnalystNSW