IBM and Fujifilm have figured out how to fit 220TB of data on a standard-size tape that fits in your hand, flexing the technology's strengths as a long-term storage medium.
Anticipating a storage crunch spurred by big data, IBM and Fujifilm are advancing the state of art in magnetic tape with a prototype capable of storing 85.9 billion bits of data per square inch.
Sony has developed a magnetic tape material that can store data at 148 gigabits per square inch, roughly 74 times the density of standard tapes.
An appliance designed for Web 2.0 companies may take them back to the future with tape storage.
Oracle is taking aim at the fast-growing storage demands of large enterprises with the latest version of its high-end tape drive, which will be able to pack 5TB of uncompressed data onto a tape cartridge.
Tape is not dead - far from it. In fact, many enterprises depend on it for cost-effective long-term storage. Tape is also finding new applications in the virtualized and increasingly video-centric world of IT. As enterprises deal with bigger sets of ...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 2 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 3 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
- 5 Microsoft Lumia 640 review: Honouring Nokia's legacy
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Report: Microsoft could debut Xbox One game streaming stick and 'Xbox TV' at E3
- This sticker can wirelessly charge your smartphone or tablet
- Microsoft breaks own design rules in dupe-the-user Windows 10 upgrade tactic
- Samsung isn't giving up on Android Wear, it's just not making any new Android Wear watches
- Google quietly kills its Nexus Player as Chromecast overshadows Android TV
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCApplication DevelopersQLD
- CCDeployment Project EngineerNSW
- CCSolutions Architect - Enterprise ApplicationsNSW
- CCProject Manager - Business IntelligenceVIC
- FTLinux System EngineersNSW
- FTProduction ConsultantVIC
- CCMS SCOM AdministratorVIC
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- CCTechnology Team Lead / Senior Developer - JavaNSW
- FTPerformance Test AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Team Leader Applications SupportACT
- CCDevOps Software Configuration ManagerACT
- FTStorage SpecialistVIC
- FTGraduate IT Support OfficerNSW
- CCNetwork Technical ConsultantSA
- CCIteration Manager/Agile Project ManagerNSW
- CCTechnical Service LeadNSW
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Australian Systems Integrator - Immediate interviewNSW
- CCSecurity Administrative Support OfficerACT
- CCDeemed Order Business SpecialistVIC
- CCIBM Sterling Developer + IBM Sterling Team LeaderNSW
- FTProject Manager - Web ContentVIC
- FTSenior Developer (Full stack)SA
- CCData Center ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Oracle Functional ConsultantSA