IBM and Fujifilm have figured out how to fit 220TB of data on a standard-size tape that fits in your hand, flexing the technology's strengths as a long-term storage medium.
Anticipating a storage crunch spurred by big data, IBM and Fujifilm are advancing the state of art in magnetic tape with a prototype capable of storing 85.9 billion bits of data per square inch.
Sony has developed a magnetic tape material that can store data at 148 gigabits per square inch, roughly 74 times the density of standard tapes.
An appliance designed for Web 2.0 companies may take them back to the future with tape storage.
Oracle is taking aim at the fast-growing storage demands of large enterprises with the latest version of its high-end tape drive, which will be able to pack 5TB of uncompressed data onto a tape cartridge.
Tape is not dead - far from it. In fact, many enterprises depend on it for cost-effective long-term storage. Tape is also finding new applications in the virtualized and increasingly video-centric world of IT. As enterprises deal with bigger sets of ...
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost review
- 2 Review: TCL C1 series 4K TV
- 3 Sony 75-inch UHD TV (X9400C) review: Sony and Android are a winning duo
- 4 LG 55EG960T OLED UHD TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera UHD TV review: good hardware, fragmented software
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Best Deals on Good Gear Guide
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft's pricey Surface Book is getting stomped by the ancient Surface Pro 3
- Android TV's universal search feature finally works with Netflix
- Facebook takes on critics with political bias class
- Kodi dives into hardware with a Raspberry Pi 3 case perfect for low-cost HTPCs
- What iOS 10 can tell us about the new iPhone
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCService Desk AnaystNSW
- CCOracle iLearning Business AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCNational Project CoordinatorNSW
- FTIT Senior Business Analyst (12M)NSW
- CCSolution Architect - PayrollNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional ArchitectNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/ SQL/Web) 160708/AP/352Asia
- CCSoftware & Hardware Asset Management - 2 rolesNSW
- CCData Warehouse Specialist- Power BI, SSAS DBA, Azure, SQLNSW
- CCSAP BASIS ConsultantVIC
- FTIT Service Desk AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCSystems Monitoring Specialist - Foglight focusNSW
- CCBusiness Data AnalystNSW
- CCContract System Analyst (Renewable Contract)Asia
- FTPractice Lead - InsuranceNSW
- CCEnvironment Manager - POSVIC
- CCSecurity Engineer - SUMO focusNSW
- CCImplementation ManagerNSW
- CCJava DevelopersACT
- CCSoftware Biomedical Solutions ArchitectSA
- CCNetwork EngineerVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst, LifeNSW
- CCServiceNow DeveloperVIC