EMC may be in the market for security and data analytics acquisitions as it builds out what it calls a federation of businesses among VMware, RSA Security, Pivotal and the company's traditional storage operations.
EMC's introductions this week of its Elastic Cloud Storage Appliance (ECS) and of ViPR 2.0, the latest generation of its enterprise storage virtualization software, are two sides of the same coin.
The IT systems of the past 20 years won't be able to handle the emerging Internet of Things, which will call for cloud computing, virtualization, efficient storage and big-data analysis, according to EMC.
EMC has agreed to acquire DSSD, a Silicon Valley startup developing technology for pooling server-based flash for high-performance data access.
EMC is taking on Amazon's Cloud storage service with a private cloud platform it says will cost less to use.
EMC's big bet on software is likely to get even bigger at this week's EMC World conference in Las Vegas.
Sony has developed a magnetic tape material that can store data at 148 gigabits per square inch, roughly 74 times the density of standard tapes.
EMC will give users a peek at its progress toward software-defined storage next week at EMC World in Las Vegas, demonstrating a virtualized VNX array developed under a program called Project Liberty.
The Cloud-storage arms race heated up even more on Monday when Microsoft gave its OneDrive for Business service a big capacity boost.
Samsung Electronics has begun mass producing a more affordable SSD, seeking to help drive the technology deeper into the corporate data center.
Combined U.S. business and consumer spending on technology will rise 5.3 percent this year to US$1.315 trillion and 6.0 percent to $1.4 trillion in 2015, thanks to an improving economy and an acceleration in purchases by businesses and government age...
What IT pros like, in their own words
A partnership between Microsoft and Violin Memory will let enterprises tightly tie a new all-flash storage array to their servers, speeding up popular Microsoft applications.
As data centers demand faster and faster storage, Micron is answering the call with long-lasting, solid-state drives that offer up to 800GB of capacity.
Box has patched the Heartbleed security hole on its servers and has advised its customers to change their passwords.
Latest News Articles
- EU questions Facebook competitors over WhatsApp deal
- LinkedIn tries again to keep people connected, with a redesigned app
- US lawmaker asks FTC to probe implications of Facebook 'big data' experiment
- TP-Link Archer D7 AC1750 Wireless Modem Router
- Google, Dropbox band together to fight patent trolls
Most Popular Articles
- 1 Buying guide: Ovens, cooktops and freestanding cookers (upright ranges)
- 2 The most disturbing YouTube videos of all time
- 3 Tethering tutorial: How to use your iPhone as a modem
- 4 How to connect your iPhone to your TV
- 5 Capacitive vs resistive touchscreens
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
- Notebooks View all »
- $1799 free shipping
- Tablets View all »
- Mobile Phones View all »
- TVs View all »
- Digital Cameras View all »
- FTRelationship/Partnerships ManagerNSW
- FTOBIEE BI/DW ConsultantNSW
- FTTechnology Development DirectorNZ
- CCL2 Technical Engineer - RightFaxVIC
- FTHead of Service ExperienceNZ
- FTMarketing Communications Executive - B2BNSW
- CCeFinance Change ManagerNSW
- FTOBIEE BI/DW ConsultantNSW
- FTService Operations DirectorNZ