In many ways, the modern computer era began in the New Englander Motor Hotel in Greenwich, Connecticut.
IBM for decades was the only company making servers based on its proprietary Power architecture, but that's not the case anymore.
Lenovo will send a memo to its server sales team on Tuesday, urging them to ignore the "uncertainty and doubt" its rivals are sowing over its acquisition of IBM's server division.
Huawei's enterprise unit has launched the FusionCube for high-end HANA systems and will also work with SAP on products for areas such as enterprise mobility.
The demand for customized servers is growing as buying trends change, with more companies designing servers in-house instead of buying from well-established vendors such as Hewlett-Packard or Dell.
Even as server shipments went up, revenue in the market declined in last year's fourth quarter, as demand for higher-end systems remained weak, according to research firm IDC.
Intel has added up to 15 cores in its latest Xeon E7 v2 family of server processors, but is stressing in-memory computing improvements with the latest chips.
Intel has released a new tool for remotely managing servers from multiple hardware vendors, though it's having to be careful not to upset partners as it looks to make more money from software.
Hewlett-Packard said security and safety updates will be provided to all its server users, after a controversy surrounding the company's decision to restrict access to firmware updates to server customers on warranty or covered by a support agreement...
Worldwide IT spending will grow by 4.6 percent this year, as enterprises look to upgrade storage, servers and networking equipment, according to market research company IDC.
Microsoft technologist Scott Guthrie has been appointed to lead the company's cloud and enterprise group, after the promotion of the former head, Satya Nadella, to the position of CEO of the company.
Fujitsu Laboratories and Furukawa Electric have developed an optical connector that could reduce connectivity costs for servers.
Intel is closing down its AppUp online application store as it sees a shift in the market and consumer needs.
Microsoft is contributing the designs of the cloud servers that run some of its services like Bing and Windows Azure to the Open Compute Project, in a bid to help standardize and reduce hardware costs.
Lenovo Group has agreed to buy IBM's x86 server hardware business and related maintenance services for $US2.3 billion.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 3 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 4 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
- 5 Parrot Mambo Drone review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Apple offers views on automated car policy, but cagey about its plans
- Watch Dogs 2 review: A fresh, interesting rebirth that ditches the stale Ubisoft formula
- How to shoot a drone out of the sky
- Report: Microsoft's Home Hub will chase Amazon's Echo as a software service
- Intel's silence on Optane SSDs raises questions about launch and focus
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTSenior Project Manager - Large Site relocation projectNSW
- FTPractice AdvisorNSW
- CCSecurity Consultant (Perth CBD based)SA
- CCLearning & Development SpecialistNSW
- TPFull Stack .NET DeveloperWA
- FTTelecom Riggers and TechniciansNSW
- CCData Scientist (Big Data)VIC
- FTUX / UI DesignerVIC
- CCIteration Manager / Scrum MasterVIC
- FTSenior Project AdministratorVIC
- FTSolution Architect - PHPACT
- CCSenior Network ConsultantVIC
- FTAPI DeveloperVIC
- CCProgram PMO Analyst, GovernanceNSW
- CCPowerOn Mobile SpecialistWA
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCDigital Producer | 3 Month Contract roleNSW
- FTIT Client Support AnalystACT
- TPProject ManagerVIC
- FTSoftware DeveloperQLD
- TPSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCLead Enterprise Solution Architect - CloudNSW
- TPSharePoint DeveloperACT
- CCProject ManagerWA
- FTStorage Systems Administrator l HDS & EMC TechnologiesNSW