The head of IBM's mainframe group is looking to bring mobile and social workloads into the platform in another move that would help the mainframe stay relevant and fend off competition from lower-cost systems.
IBM's Watson supercomputer outperformed humans in the televised game show "Jeopardy." Now the company is moving some of its underlying technologies from the supercomputer into new entry-level servers.
A rugged server from NCS Technologies introduced on Friday can withstand drops, will work in extreme temperatures and can be deployed via parachute into crisis areas or war zones if needed.
Facebook has proposed a new model for designing servers that it says will give businesses more choice in selecting components and a smarter way to upgrade systems when needs change, though it remains to be seen how widely its method will be adopted.
Dell is trying to bring the ARM and x86 processors closer by supporting a new systems management technology, a step toward making both the CPU technologies interoperable, the company said on Wednesday.
Facebook's Open Compute Project is being expanded to incorporate ARM processors, providing new options for companies shopping for low-cost hardware to build out cloud computing environments.
Intel said it is working to make the Thunderbolt data transfer technology faster as it wages a speed race with the USB 3.0 protocol, but the company declined to say when improvements will be finished.
NEC's new high-end server contains swappable battery packs, intended to provide backup power without the need for an external uninterruptible power supply (UPS) in data centers.
Change in any industry involves conflict. Evolution and revolution in tech this year took place not only in the marketplace but also in the courtroom, the factory, and on the Web. Here are the top news stories of 2012 as selected by the editors of th...
Advanced Micro Devices has cut orders to contract chip manufacturer GlobalFoundries, expecting a "choppy demand environment" in the next few quarters.
News of weak server sales, continuing turmoil at Hewlett-Packard and the ongoing U.S. political impasse over the so-called "fiscal cliff" have not given tech industry watchers much to cheer about this week.
Worldwide server shipments went up in the third quarter of 2012, but revenue from those sales dropped due to economic uncertainty in some parts of the world, research firm Gartner said in a study released on Wednesday.
NEC is working on a new type of small data center unit that uses convection to slash power usage by a third, even in Japan's hot, sticky climate.
Dell on Thursday reported a sharp drop in revenue and profits for the third quarter as the weak PC market continued to weigh on its results.
Hewlett-Packard is taking a step away from traditional server design with the new Proliant SL4500 server, which mixes processing, networking and storage units to optimize performance of applications like OpenStack and Hadoop.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 2 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 3 Parrot Mambo Drone review
- 4 Evapolar USB air conditioner review
- 5 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft rescues disheveled lady Skypers with its TeleBeauty virtual makeup app
- Samsung releases super-high-capacity 8GB DRAM
- Mars lander goes silent, but scientists remain hopeful
- By 2020, you'll say more to a machine than to your spouse
- Google Keep adds app shortcuts, pinned messages in update
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- TV buying guide: What to look for when buying a TV in 2016
- Best iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus plans: Optus vs Telstra vs Vodafone vs Virgin
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- CCTechnology TrainerNSW
- FTDelivery LeadNSW
- CCDevOps/Automation EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Telecom ProjectNSW
- FTSalesforce Subject Matter ExpertNSW
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - experience in IDAM a MUSTNSW
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (Oracle/SSADM) 161027/SSA/634Asia
- CCPHP DeveloperNSW
- CCQlikview DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Web) 161011/AP/145Asia
- CCIT Manager - ANZNSW
- FTBiomedical Project ManagerSA
- CCLevel 3 Microsoft Resource EngineerVIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- CCSAP GRC consultant with ABAP experience . Canberra LocationNSW
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC
- CCSAS DI DeveloperNSW
- CCTechnical Business Analyst - Wealth/Super backgroundNSW
- CCSenior Developer - C++/Perl/PythonNSW
- CCAcquisition Marketing Executive - B2BNSW
- CCeCommerce Project ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Security AnalystVIC