The server business continued to slide in the second quarter with worldwide revenue and unit sales down, IDC said Tuesday.
Intel is expected to announce availability next week of a low-power Atom server chip code-named Avoton, which is likely to appear soon in systems such as Hewlett-Packard's Moonshot.
IBM for the first time revealed details on Monday of its 12-core Power8 chip, which is twice as fast as the Power7 chip used in the Watson supercomputer.
Intel is putting a sharp focus on expanding its custom processor and chip operations in response to a growing trend of companies building servers in-house to meet specific workloads or data center designs.
Hewlett-Packard has joined Nvidia's growing Grid alliance, equipping a Gen8 Proliant blade server with graphics boards that can speed up and lower the cost of virtual desktop deployments.
Cisco Systems revenue and profit increased in the company's fourth quarter compared to a year earlier as the company continued its push to transcend its networking roots and become the world's top IT company.
Intel is looking to use light and lasers to shuffle data faster among servers, and is proposing a new optical interconnect, MXC, that could change the way servers are implemented in data centers.
Oracle has joined the market for pre-integrated systems intended to ease the process of setting up and managing a virtualized compute environment.
Oracle has moved quickly to provide virtualization support for its recently released 12c database, saying this week that a set of virtual machine templates for the product are now available.
IBM has introduced x86 and Power processors with a new dual-chip server module that will help speed the deployment of cloud and virtualized environments.
Oracle has introduced a new software package for its Exalytics high-performance analytics appliance that in some cases, will be mandatory.
Oracle is preparing to roll out the latest member of its family of "engineered systems" that combine software and hardware, with the upcoming product focused on virtualisation.
In the ongoing quest for faster access to data, Diablo Technologies has taken what could be a significant next step.
Intel has updated its road map with a new, low-power server chip to help it ward off competition from Calxeda and other makers of low-power chips.
Hewlett Packard and Japan's NEC will expand their existing partnership to develop high-end x86-based servers for cloud and Web applications.
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Star Wars Death Star Bluetooth levitating rotating speaker review
- 2 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 3 Fetch TV Mighty review: Better than Foxtel
- 4 Fetch TV Mini review: Make your TV a smart TV
- 5 Panasonic Viera DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review
Join the Good Gear Guide newsletter!
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft kills Cache, its note-taking experiment with Evernote-Google Keep aspirations
- Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 15014 officially adds ebook support
- XCOM 2's eagerly anticipated Long War 2 total conversion mod released in Steam Workshop
- Prices plummet for AMD's beastly Radeon Pro Duo graphics card ahead of Vega's release
- Resident Evil 7 joins Microsoft's ambitious Play Anywhere program for PCs and Xbox One
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Which flagship TV is best? Sony 4K HDR Bravia 2016 versus LG 4K HDR OLED 2016
- 10 Blu-ray movies / Best looking Blu-ray movies
- FTBrand Marketing Manager - Premium Entertainment BrandNSW
- TPSenior Test Analyst - DETEQLD
- FTSolutions Architect - Data Centre/ NetworkACT
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- CCSAP HR/ Payroll ConsultantQLD
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- CCWebMethod DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Business AnalystNSW
- CCWebMethod DeveloperNSW
- CCMultiple Infrastructure ArchitectsWA
- FTLevel 2 Service DeskNSW
- TPDigital Business Analyst | AgileQLD
- CCTest Specialist - NetworkVIC
- TPTechnical WriterACT
- FTInfrastructure ConsultantQLD
- FTProduction control - batch schedulingNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - Financial Planning - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTLinux EngineerNSW
- CCTest Automation ArchitectQLD
- TPDigital Business AnalystNSW
- FTPMO Coordinator - Permanent Opportunity!NSW
- FTTrading Systems EngineerNSW
- FTBack End DeveloperNSW
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- CCMicrosoft Systems EngineerVIC